Heart palpitations after gallbladder removal

Posted , 19 users are following.

Has anyone experienced heart palpitations, fast heart rate and dizziness or lightheadedness after having their gallbladder removed?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes. I've been feeling weak for exactly a year after my surgery.

been doing all the kind of tests the doctors send me, but there's nothing. i keep telling them all that its since the surgery, but they don't think there is a connection.

but it's kinda if come and go. the most something has helped me is acupuncture. try and find previous posts of me.

you can send me a private message if you want.

• Posted

ok I'll take a look at it, thank you! Did you have any other prolonged side effects after surgery? i'm over 3 months post op and still not well, pain where the gallbladder used to be that goes across my abdomen which has been constant the past week, nausea and loss of appetite. I've lost 22 lbs.

• Posted

yes, started couple months after op and still have those symptoms (not nausea) 8 years on, including migraine, which i did not have before the op.

• Posted

It's crazy all the symptoms that come up after gallbladder surgery. How long did it take you to feel better after your surgery? I am 15 weeks post op and still not well.

• Posted

hello! i hope you are still active on here. i had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago and ever since, i have had a fast heart beat and palpatations ive been to A&E twice and all they say is that they do not know why its happening to me and they send me home. i am also short of breath doing my normal activities, i just dont seem to be getting answers

callie

• Posted

hello I too have had palpitations low energy and tiredness and I'm 8 weeks post op.been to er and heart doctor.they put me on bp meds and sugar meds still my palpitations occur daily.now they want to put me on metoprolol but I'm worried it's a beta blocker.

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed Dec 11th. And still have no energy, shaky, get short of breath, and chest pains. Been to the Er and they seem to think its anxiety. Been to cardiologist and he doesn't seem to think it is my heart. So weird how all this is happening.

• Posted

I still have my gallbladder but I get fast heartbeat and anxiety after a meal. Occasional heart palpitation. I suffered jaundice 10 years ago and stuck with feeling under right ribcage. Clueless if it is due to liver or gallbladder.

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed june 4th, and I've been to the ER over 30 times, they told me it was anxiety as well. I see a cardiologist and am on heart medications. I went to cleveland clinic and they were absolutely useless. I've been having heart palpitations, passing out, shortness of breath, dizziness, ect.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I had mine out in March of 2019 . I have had nothing but issues since that include increase GERD, bile relfux, Heart palpitations that started within six months of my surgery. And they just don’t get any better. I have seen Three different cardiologists and a million trips to ER and they all said it’s not my heart. I’ve tried and tried to explain to them that it’s all started after my gallbladder surgery but no one seems to think there’s a connection although my GI doc said there is a possibilty but thats as far as it went. i take 150mg of Metoprolol a day. Ive been told its anxiety or perimenopause, or inappropriate tachycardia. Im sick of them blaming it on anxiety. if anything, the palpitations cause an increase in anxiety

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 6 months ago. I noticed a pattern. If I eat a lot too fast or I eat something high in fat, I feel pain where gallbladder was, my heart races, I feel light headed & nauseous. I occasionally vomit if I let all those symptoms f*** with my head. Of course all of that freaks me out & causes a panic attack.

• Posted

I'm glad to have found this discussion. I've suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for years. 6 weeks ago I had my gallbladder and an umbilical hernia removed. About 3 weeks post-op, I was having lunch and my heart starting beating rapidly and I got sweaty. Naturally, I assumed it was a panic attack and took a Xanax. Weeks later, this has been happening even more frequently, usually after eating or during and even just drinking. I knew this couldn't be my anxiety. I saw my cardiologist a couple days ago, and EKG was normal but he's ordered a number of other tests. I was searching online to see if others had this same situation and there are many! So now, what can be done? I'll speak with my doctors and hope they don't dismiss this connection.

• Posted

this has been happening to me since removal in 2009 when i was 21. after eating within 40 minutes i get a very rapid heart rate and usually its random i dont know why it happens. i went to the er numerous times and no one helps me i went at least 20-30 times in 2010. i live with it i dont talk about it to doctors no one understands im afraid to eat and be in a space where i cant let this pass. please if anyone has insight i never ever had this until my gallbladder was removed!

• Edited

Hi, i realize this is a very old post but ive recently been experiencing similar issues. I had gallbladder removed in 2020 and have continued to have issues with digestion, i was recently told my B12 and Vitamin D levels were low, most likely from the "dumping syndrome" that can follow gallbladder removal. In the last few days i went to the ER for chest pain and palpitations, where they said my magnesium and potassium were low, which causes arrhythmias. I wonder if you all have had your electrolytes tested as digestion without a gallbladder doesn't allow absorption of many nutrients, which can cause these symptoms. Also if your suffering from the gastric dumping like i am every time i eat, you have to drink plenty of fluids to replace the ones lost. Dehydration can cause a lot of the symptoms mentioned in the comments. Just wanted to share what Ive found in my research so far, I'm an RN currently pursuing my NP so Ive been digging deep on a lot of these things trying to find a reason for the cardiac involvement after gallbladder removal.

• Posted

was anyone able to get this resolved? i got mine out in december and have had a rapid heart rate ever since then. i have sseen a cardiologist that says heart is healthy. and now im on medication to slow my heart rate. i am so scared and dont know what is wrong with me. if you have any information please help me.

• Posted

i am still dealing with it now hoping it goes away. are you dealing with this as well?

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply! tbh my symptoms come and go but the last week the rapid heart rate has been bad and my gastro symptoms have been terrible... How are you doing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.