Heart palpitations for a year started after arguement with my other half

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, im a 36 year old female..a year ago me and my partner had a really bad arguement i was crying alot and my heart was racing..it was late at night so i went to bed but i couldnt sleep because my heart was racing so much and really thumping..i finally got some sleep i woke up the next morning and i noticed that my heart was beating different..it would beat normally but every now and then i would get a big thump sometimes it was a double thump and sometimes the only way i can describe it is a flopping sensation. i thought it was anxiety because of the arguement but its now been a year and i still get this eveyday! i do suffer from severe anxiety but i always have done since i was a teenager so i dont think this has to do with anxiety. i am very healthy i exercise 5 times a week, dont smoke, have a glass of wine at the weekend. i dont want to go to docs at moment coz of coronavirus i dont want to have to go to hospital..anyone have anything similar?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mel,

I promise you are not alone in this. I've had mine for about a year and a half now, and I'm 31. I went a little too hard at the gym and started getting them sporadically, mostly when exercising. One day I decided to Google what it could be, which was a very bad idea. I started to feel it every day, noticed everything. Eventually they would go away for weeks on end, but when they returned they would occur on a daily basis, for days on end. Sometimes it happens non-stop all day long, for 2/3 days straight. I'm going through one of those as I type, 2 days straight, non-stop. It's horrible, isn't it?

I've suffered from anxiety since childhood, so I didn't think that would be it, as why would it suddenly come on. I was sure it had to be something I did wrong. Plus it didn't start when I was particularly worried. Apparently this doesn't matter. I've learnt to accept that anxiety and stress can catch up with you, and it tends to be when you least expect it.

I've had blood tests, 24 & 48-hour monitors, echocardiogram. Nothing unusual. In fact, they said it was all healthy. I've since heard of people first getting this during pregnancies, after getting particularly angry, exercising, and some whilst doing pretty much nothing.

I would recommend talking to a doctor over the phone, considering the pandemic, and maybe getting through to a cardiologist. Mine started pre-pandemic but the tests stretched into it, so had plenty of phone calls. These things are rarely anything serious, but unfortunately something you have to learn to deal with. But first get checked over, just to ease your mind as that will help.

In November I was placed on propranolol 40mg 3x daily, as I wasn't dealing with it very well - this was before the 48-hour monitor caught the ectopic beats and a cardiologist confirmed they were not stemming from underlying issues. Once I got the news I weaned off them as I didn't want to rely on beta blockers forever. I now take magnesium tablets, go on walks, cut caffeine etc. These have seemed to help somewhat, but the recent bout has thrown me off, but baby steps.

I know you can't help but panic as it happens, as it's disconcerting. What gets me is a pinching/spasm feeling that shoots up my sternum and settles at the top, just underneath the neck. But I remind myself not to panic and, take deep breaths and focus on something else.

I hope this helps, if anything to let you know you are not alone.

• Posted

Chronic stress can steadily damage our heart and extremely stressful events can do that quickly. That's not very comforting, I know, but it can happen.

Strange and unpleasant heart rhythm issues are very common. Mostly they are not dangerous, just unnerving & scary.

Please try not to worry too much about the chances of catching Covid at your GP's. They'll be super-cautious (for their own sake...as well as ours!).

So maybe just talk to your doctor and describe your unpleasant symptoms. They should preferably listen to your heart with a stethoscope (old-school!) then arrange for an ECG and maybe a blood test. An ECG is a very easy, comfortable & routine test. A nurse just asks you to lie on your back and they stick electrodes around your chest and that's it. A trace is taken for your doctor, or cardiologist to look at.

You might have a slightly "floppy" Mitral heart valve in your heart. This is a very common thing and usually nothing to worry about, but they can arrange for you to have further (also very easy) tests to check the structure of your ticker. These would be an Echocardiogram (just like an ultrasound scan but with funny sounds!) and maybe a 24 hour ECG monitor which is just a mini ECG that you wear while you go about your usual life. They even use smart phone apps for this test now!

Good luck!

• Posted

This seems normal. Its normal for heart rate to increase with lots of exercise and also with stress. If the heart rate doesnt go down after a few minutes, after the argument, then its time to see the doctor.

• Posted

hi how are you.

I know this post was a while ago now buy i too suffer from palpitations like you describe mine also started after a stressful time and now they won't go away they happen throughout the day everyday. I've had 2 24hr ecgs which didnt pick much up and and echocardiogram which was normal I'm waiting for a 7 day ecg which will be fitted in a couple of days.

Do you still get your palpitations or have they gone away I hope they have gone away for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.