Heavy bleeding and clots after open myomectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I had an open myomectomy 6 1/2 weeks ago to remove 5 fibroids. My bleeding was so heavy prior to surgery (I just continuously passed clots) that I was on norethisterone for a year... only stopping it two weeks after surgery. My first period was heavy although it did not have any clots, I was expecting this considering the type of surgery I had and the fact I hadn't had a period for a year. My second period has been a lot heavier and I am passing clots again... I'm wondering whether anyone had experienced the same? I am thinking as I was on norethisterone for so long scans showed my lining was really thick... so do I just need to go with the heavy bleeding as it's a way of expelling all the built up lining? Thanks for any replies.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I started my period on 1st March; it lasted for seven days (six days heavy and the last day light); then followed a dark, murky slightly bloody discharge. ... I had a myomectomy on 12th March and bled daily immediately after, with some large and small clots, for six days, then I had no bloody discharge for four days, then I got some bloody 'spotting' for two days. On 24th March I started bleeding enough to warrant a sanitary towel, though there was not much deposited in the pad. To date, I am still bleeding, but I need one pad a day, as opposed to several.

• Posted

Hi, did you have an injection ( zoladex) ( try to shrink the fibroids before the opp ) before the opp?! I’m having very heavy bleeding after the injection and low mood and feel depressed.  Just wondering how long I’m going to have this heavy period. Give me an advise plz. 
  • Posted

I had an open Myomectomy 18 days ago & had 19 fibroids removed. I was told that some light bleeding & spotting afterward was normal. But I am having bleeding that resembles a period, started 2 days ago. I am taking the pill & have had 4 injections of zoladex so I don’t know why I am bleeding. It is causing me a lot of stress & worry. Can someone tell me if this sounds normal?

• Posted

Hi Molly,

After my open myomectomy I experienced a lot of bleeding because all the old blood that had been obstructed by my fibroid was now unobstructed and free to come out. Steer clear of tampons as they keep blood inside the uterus. When you're bleeding from the vagina pads are the best as everything comes out onto the pad. Make sure you exercise everyday too. Lack of exercise, stress and processed foods contributed to the growth of my fibroids. Best wishes, st45614.

• Posted

hi l also hv irregular bleeding wc takes like 3 wiks but this happened after medication for fibroids l do know if its normal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.