Heavy bleeding from bowel

Posted , 9 users are following.

over the last few months I've had intermediate bleeding from bowel , with pain , high pulse and sweats. Blood varies from red,thick red wine to black sticky tar like. I've attached a picture from a few days ago. Gp is not interested "I'm too young at 37" a@e all they do is take bloods and send me home, im at my wits end as this isn't normal , I have family history of bowel cancer, yet nhs services are doing nothing. Any help appreciated as I just sit and cry thinking I'm going to die and no one did anything to help

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Go to AnE and take a stool sample with you. Demand to be seen. collapse on the floor if thats what it takes. You really need seen now.?

Goodluck, try not to worry, it could be something wimple or something serious. Either way you need seen now...

• Posted

Insist on getting a second opinion from a different GP.and request a colonoscopy should be taken more seriously if you have family history. Be persistent.
    • Posted

Thanks for ure comment, I've tried all that, I think I'm gonna get banned from GPs In this area as well as the hospital if I hear 'your too young once more' I'm gonna scream. I'm in process of selling anything I can to go private. I'm just shocked, i gave 15years service to NHS and I get treated like this. 
    • Posted

Have you considered buying a home testing kit for bowel cancer? May give you some evidence to go back to GP or contact Bowel Cancer web site for advise.
  • Posted

Please change your doctor to one who will listen and treat your problem.

A decent doctor would have asked for a stool sample when you first approached them.

The fact is that what you are complaining about could be something or nothing, but most doctor say that if there is ANY bleeding from the bowel you should go to see them.

If you do not want to change doctors I would suggest that you go back to your existing one and ask why they had dismissed you without tests, and simply refuse to leave the surgery until you have been given an acceptable explanation.

You could also threaten to report them to the GMC for neglecting a patient.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your experience. There does seem to be a lot of bad doctors around. I've been a patient with a bad practice before and changed to another one and thankfully npw feel I'm now in better hands.

I'm going to suggest a slightly different tack. I would recommend you dial 111 and tell them about your bleeding colon. Mention you 've already seen your GP and they ignored your symptoms. They will probably advise you go straight down to A&E, and may even arrange that you get seen there. Whatever, forget thw GP stage. Also speaK to someone from the NHS Bowel Screening programme. You can ring them up on 0800 706 6060. I don't know if they are open at weekends but certainly they will be there during weekdays.

There is no way that A&E can ignore your situation, otherwise you would have  serious grounds against a hospital for medical negligence. I don't know what area you are resident in, but perhaps try a different hospital.You may well have a 4 hour wait, but at least you will get seen. What you will need at the very least is a sigmoidoscopy and probably a colonoscopy, the latter requiring 24 hours preparation. Best of luck

• Posted

ed everything already thatThank you to everyone who Has taken time to reply, I've tried everything that has all ready been suggested. I'm going private after selling my car, and being seen tomorrow for tests, all I can say is shame on the NHS, yes it's free but how many people have to fight for things yet they waste so much money on things they shouldn't be. I'd gladly pay health insurance if it means getting taken seriously. So fingers crossed tomorrow goes well and I will let you know what happens.
  • Posted

Please tell me what you found out is wrong with you, I just went to the bathroom and my stool looked "EXACTLY" I mean "EXACTLY" like the picture of yours. The color of my stool looked like a light greenish color just like yours, the same red blood liquidy and runny with little bits of blood clots here and there too, when I finally wipe the whole piece of toilet paper is covered in blood. Sorry for getting graphic but I need help.

im a healthy male age 29, 6 foot 1 inches, I weigh 190lb, I'm not having any pain but I've pooped 2 times, the first was half as bad as the second which looked just like yours I have never bleed from my butt except today. Please ask any questions and please help. I live in california and my health insurance is worthless until I pay the first $3500 for the year, I'm low on funds with 2 sons 4 and 3 years old, so I can't afford to go to the hospital this moment.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Please tell me what you found out is wrong with you, I just went to the bathroom and my stool looked "EXACTLY" I mean "EXACTLY" like the picture of yours. The color of my stool looked like a light greenish color just like yours, the same red blood liquidy and runny with little bits of blood clots here and there too, when I finally wipe the whole piece of toilet paper is covered in blood. Sorry for getting graphic but I need help.

im a healthy male age 29, 6 foot 1 inches, I weigh 190lb, I'm not having any pain but I've pooped 2 times, the first was half as bad as the second which looked just like yours I have never bleed from my butt except today. Please ask any questions and please help. I live in california and my health insurance is worthless until I pay the first $3500 for the year, I'm low on funds with 2 sons 4 and 3 years old, so I can't afford to go to the hospital this moment.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! 

• Posted

hi i have the same issue right now. Did you ever find out why you had it?

• Posted

hi yvonne, sorry to disturb yourself. just out of interest did you ever find out the cause. ive had several bowel motions like yours and my FIT was off the scale for my haemoglobin levels. have a colonoscopy on monday and am dreading the results

thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.