Heavy periods

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 32 years old, and wanted to ask advice about dealing with heavy periods. It's not that I have any pain or cramps - no they are usually painless, so it's not a question. But first 2-3 days they are sometimes rather heavy, if i wear towel i can sometimes feel the flow of blood, and if I pee I can see clots sometimes. Than i get tired and sleepy easy and the head aches, so it's difficult to work as usually. Maybe there are some medicines - I don't know for strengthening the blood vessels for example?  I usually try to cope with strong tee and sugar, but I can't eat much sugar (because of IBS) and when tıred you feel nausea so you can't eat much to replenısh energy. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi maybe should try replenishing your iron stores whilst on your period, that may be why you feel so tired, if you feel nauseous you could try supplements, and more nutritious food to help through it, it's probably not the best idea to not eat while on your period 
  • Posted

Hello ask for tranexamic acid tablets they reduce the flow of heavy periods you take for first 3 days when heavy hope this helps Michelle xx
  • Posted

Rather than Transemic Acid which is sort of like a good steroid boost I would recomment the following. Drink plenty of clean water before and during your period. Take a daily vitamin. For me the only vitamin that works with hormones is called New Chapter every woman multi-vitamin. I have a very sensitive stomach and digestive system and this helps in a great way with hormones which is why I am telling you to do this instead of Tranexamic Acid.

When they prescribed them to me I felt like I was on a really great emotional and physical high. What happens when your period is done? Your hormones want to return to normal and they won't because of the drug. Then every month you will need it. With Vitamins, plenty of fresh water, black chai tea, and even salted caramel tea you will do great. Don't believe that the drug manf. can help you. They want your money. 

I only ask that you try the above recommendations because I was prescribed Tranexamic acid and my legs swelled up badly. I ended up in the emergency room. They told me to stop taking it immediately and seek physical symptom relief like water, exercise, vitamins. I have been in this game of psychological chaos for over 10 years. You can get relief from pills, but since your bleeding is only heavy on the first 3 days and not painful it makes me think that you need vitamins - Good Vitamins like New Chapter. I don't sell them but a friend brought them to me and it makes a lot of difference. Eat eggs, fruits, and Gluten free breads with Nutella and even tasty cream cheese or a bit of chocolate to ease your mind. You will be fine. Exercise also helps decrease the amount of blood and stress of a period. Ride a bike, walk fast, swim, or run for 20 minutes every other day and you will be good to go. 

Best wishes. Debra 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.