Heel surgery incision closed until I moved into boot

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had calcaneus/heel open-reduction surgery with, heel plate and screws, almost 6 weeks ago. Still non weight-bearing until next appointment in a week. The hard cast, with window for changing dry dressing, was getting too tight due to swelling so the PA decided to move into a air cast, instead of hard cast for 1 week, but still continue NWB (non weight-bearing.).

The incision looked closed to me and he said the incision looked good and healed enough to move into air cast and start showering and cleaning foot. The tech that put me in the air cast recommended just wearing an ankle sock and to inflate and deflate the bladders based on my comfort level.

I took shower, with VERY light cleaning (anti-bacterial soap, no wash cloth) after first day of wearing boot with cotton sock and knee scooter. After 1 night and 2 days of wearing the boot, NWB, I noticed leakage spot on sock and foam padding, by incision area, on the boot.

After removing the sock to inspect there is a clear open wound at top of incision. I can only assume that the air cast bladder and the sock rubbed a sore or caused the a small portion of the incision to re-open.

This morning I cleaned the infected area, with anti-bac soap and water, and placed dry gauze pads with stretch wrap over infected area and put another cotton ankle sock on foot. Currently reclining with foot up while air cast dries after wife spot-cleaned the boot liner.

• I go back to doc in a week but any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations are greatly appreciated to help take care for open wound, or open area of incision.
  • Should I still dry bandage or use Neosporin on gauze pad?
  • Also, how should I be wearing, and using, the boot with the aforementioned area that is directly on the air cast air bladder.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

I had open reduction of the tibia and fibula around 8 weeks ago and still have open wounds which were previously infected hence it's taking time to close. I still have dressings on to help promote a moist environment for the wound. The dressings are changed weekly by the nurse in the fracture clinic. She has been cleaning my wounds with Inadine and lately she tried the dressings with honey to help absorb the discharges from the wound. The wounds have been improving but still not fully closed. I was also advised in the last couple of weeks to keep my foot out of the boot without socks (such a liberating feeling) when I'm not mobilising and it has definitely helped with wound healing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.