HELP! 20 years old with Reactive Arthritis.

Posted , 5 users are following.

My name is Axel and I am 20 years old. I was diagnosed with Chlamydia-induced reactive arthritis on June 9th 2018. I have pain and inflammation in both of my feet, my middle finger on the right hand, and a bit in my knees. I have been getting steroid injections (prednisone) and taking DMARDS (Prednisone and Sulfasalazine) for about 3 months now with no real dramatic effect. I lost my job, couldn't attend my education and I am really at the end of my rope. I have talked to doctors about trying biologics but I am also scared of exposing my body to more extreme treatment. My CRP levels (Inflammatory markers) have gone down from 101 to around 40 so there has been some progress. But I have been stuck in the same place for a long time now and tried many alternative treatments (out of desperation) such as Applied Kinesiology, Rolfing etc. I feel like all my doctors are saying different things and I simply don't know how to proceed.

PS: I had campylobacter-induced reactive arthritis in 2016 which lasted about two months. I got the same treatment but never really knew if I got better because of the medicine or just with time.

My questions are:

Does anyone have experience with Biologics? Are they dangerous?

Any other alternatives that I should try?

Has anyone had success with antibiotics? (even though I know they don't work on autoimmune diseases)

I am also just interested in hearing other peoples experience with Reactive Arthritis/Rheumatoid Arthritis and how you have dealt with it.

Much love, Axel

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Axel,

I'm 20 too and was diagnosed with what the doctors intially thought was reactive arthritis when I was 19. I had loads of pain and stiffness in my left knee. It sounds like you have more classic symptoms than me as after about a year the pain spread into my heels, hips and back and I was rediagnosed with peripheral spondyloarthritis. I took sulfasalazine for around 5 months before being switched to methotrexate. Ask your doctor to prescribe you naproxen for pain relief as this helps me alot. I'd also recommend you try and take up swimming as the more you exercise the joints the better you feel. Reactive arthritis typically takes around 6 months to go away so hang in there, it is extremely frustrating but you will get better. I've been told that I will get biologics in 2 months time if I have not improved and I am going to take them as I've been suffering for over a year now.

Good luck!

M

• Posted

Hi mxim7

Thanks so much for your comment! It is nice to feel that you aren't all alone with this disease. 

I will definitely try to do some swimming. I am able to bike around too because I'm not putting all my weight on my feet. I think my biggest problem is just the frustration of "not knowing" and constantly making decisions about treatments with no real effect. I just have to be patient and try to move around some more.

My CRP is at 40 right now (still very high) and I always thought that it was normal because my immunsystem is working hard. But today one doctor seemed to be surprised that it was still high. Do they check your CRP and does it correlate with the severity of your ReA?

Thanks!

- Axel

• Posted

Not had ReA as bad as you, but I have had it running for 6 months now (Campylorbacter kicked mine off), sometimes it sets up in my lower back and that's me unable to get out of bed for 24 hours, or it may go for my feet, meaning 50 meters is the most I'll manage to walk, or the hands in which case cannot drive or open jars.

Bottom line, most of the treatments you have listed are long term medications that stop the symptoms occurring rather than giving you short term pain relief. Some take as long as 4 weeks to kick in so you need to be patient and give them time to kick in (I know, it sucks). Many have side effects if you take them longer term (e.g. the steroid Predisone can cause obesety)

As per other poster, I really find that Naproxen helps, as it kicks in within 15 minutes and gives relief for around 12 hours before dropping off. just remember to always take it with food, and ideally a protein pump inhibitor (Omazerpole) to protect the stomach from the Naproxen.  After the Naproxen has got me moving, moderate exercise really does help reduce the overall symptoms.

insofar as I can tell, there is no #cure# for ReA, only management of symptoms during a flare up. So this may well keep coming back every time you get ill (as soon as my kids start sneezing I know i'm going down in the next day or two). there's a test for a gene (HBL27 I think) which is a marker to show if your are more likely to suffer from ReA.

Anti biotics won't do anything for you if the original infection is gone.

• Posted

Hey antony36372

Thanks for answering! It means a lot

I am also coming to understand that ReA is a difficult illness that doesn't really have a real cure. I am HLA B27 positive so I am definitely genetically predisposed to get it.

One thing that is on my mind a lot these days is the fact that I don't really understand exactly what will make me better. It is hard for me to word and I don't know if you can answer it but:

Question: I know that sulfasalazine suppresses the immune system (so the body doesn't attack it self as much) and that the prednisone lowers inflammation. But what will actually cause it to stop? Does it (like a cold) have a certain period of time and then slowly dies off? Or is it important to get inflammation to 0 for the body to reset itself? What I am basically asking is if ones immune system attacks its own cells for so long (3-12 months) why does it then stop again (having in mind that reactive arthritis just takes time and can pass by itself).

I have a hard time wording this questions, even to my parents, but maybe you can understand.

Thanks

- Axel

• Posted

I can understand your frustration. ReA really takes its mental toll on you.

as a grown man I collapsed into a blubbering mess a few months ago, because I tried to fill a wheelbarrow with soil in the garden and found I couldn’t move it. The previous weekend I shifted 10ton of soil.

most people struggle to understand what it’s like to have arthritis and be young, especially a form like ReA which ebbs and flows so quickly. There are many times my wife simply doesn’t understand that on a given day I cannot do things and assumes I’m lazy.

im afraid I don’t know the answer to your medical questions. I have found that the guys with rumatoid arthritis know lots about the various drugs as that’s also autoimmune. Try this place https://www.nras.org.uk/

• Posted

I am 44 years old and got ReA from chlamydia. I had the worst possible diagnosis beeing HLA B27 positive and getting this from chladmydia. I was in a wheelchair for two months, and at my worst i lost 10 kg’s of by body weight and puked from pain on a daily basis.

After 3 months however, i woke up one morning beeing able to move my knee joint and with a lot less pain. In the following weeks my recovery was noticeable from day to day.

You need to stay strong and remember you will get better.

Biologics are not dangerous. Welcome the treatment if suggested by your doctor. Bilogics are used by a lot pf people, including those with Chrons disease and in general they will have less norticable side effects than for example Sulfa.

Antibiotics won’t hurt to try,  but it might not help much in your case as they have been effective only for some parients  getting ReA from std’s.

Regarding  my experience, i was told by doctors i would have to brace myself for chronic problems. But within 3 months i could walk again and quit medications. You need to stay positive.. with my genetic makeup and the triggering disease i was told this might never improve, but it did.  5 months in, i am now only having pain a few days a week, and though i still limp a little bit i am able to work, study and work out.

• Posted

Axel, Well, join the boat!!! I have had Reiter's Syndrome for sixty plus years. I am HLaB27 positive. At first my parents, who really didn't care, said I was having "growing pains". My ankles would swell if I walked on the concrete streets of New York City for too long (usually with my mother as she went shopping). It was not until I was about 15 or so that I got a stomach bug during the summer while skiing at altitude (probably giarardia). Anyway, about two months later I got stiff. It lasted for two years off and on. I experienced irregular swelling on both sides of my spine plus some lethargy. When Sonny Liston and Ali fought in Lewiston, ME I was in the infirmary with German measles. I was taking lots of aspirin to reduce the fever. As soon as I got out of the infirmary, I did a cross-country ski race; the coach said if I did not race in the practice I could not ski for the team that weekend. I raced faster than another boy for one loop who went to the Junior Nationals, but tired somewhat on the second. The coach was impressed; however, the next day I was back in the infirmary with the flu. I was able to stay in high school (not that big a challenge).

I had a more significant attack during my junior year in college. My hips and lower bag started to hurt so much that it was difficult to ski, especially on ice! Each chatter of the skis sent some pain shooting through my hips. I spent a few weeks on crutches when it got bad but taking some aspirin seemed to help.

Two years after I left college my girlfriend's son gave me strep throat. Within two months my body started to ache, slowly at first. First, it was the ankles swelling (I thought it was a long bike ride). Then, the rest of the body tightened up. I started taking Indocin and aspirin for several months. Since that did not provide much relief my doctor (an internist) sent me to his med school rheumatologist. He tried sulfasalazine, butazolidine (banned for many years, but banned first in horses). Gradually, the attack subsided.

Two more years later I got cellulitis in my left knee. I went to the hospital for IV anti-biotics. Two weeks after that I woke up with incredible pain throughout most of my body. My rheumatologist put me on methotrexate (MTX), 9 tabs, 3 mg each, weekly). That gradually brought my sed rate down from over 100 to about 75 in maybe two months. That rate gradually diminished over the next four months. Its side effects were nausea, headaches, and sores in my mouth and nose. I put an anti-biotic cream on those sores to prevent infection. I also smoked some week to reduce the nausea and help my appetite. I had lost 14 pounds in two weeks following the initial infection. The attack lasted about nine months.

I tried Enbrel without MTX for about nine years. That was a BIG mistake as the Enbrel hid the progression of Reiter's Syndrome (RS). Its effect was that I had to get my left MCP replaced, my right ankle scoped, and my right shoulder scoped. Then, six years ago I had both TMJs replaced.

I have tried Humira, Cosentyx, and Simponi. None worked. I tried Otezla; it didn't work as expected but I got somewhat depressed (one of its side effects). I tried prednisone again (after a thirty years hiatus). I got very angry with my dog so I stopped that. I am now taking Remicade every four weeks at an intermediate level of dosage. I started it after I had had my most recent attack that lasted about 15 months (my neck got terribly inflamed; muscles and tendons swollen and tight). After the third treatment I noticed some improvement; I could walk much better without feeling every bone in my spine jarring with each step.

Until 2016 I have been able to keep a somewhat active lifestyle although very diminished from what it might have been. The last two years have been a real "downer" as the anklylosing spondylitis became severe; C3-C5 are fused, C1 only exists as a shadow, several back vertebra are close to fusion; however, my spinal canal remains "OK" although somewhat narrow in one place.

I credit my good fortune to a few good doctors, to an active lifestyle (even when it hurts), and to avoiding infections. My social life is abysmal as people are all too quick to notice my stiff posture and lack of flexibility. Women, understandably, do not want to be with someone who has an inherited disease and, honestly, I don't want to pass HLAb-27 onto anybody. On the bright side, I have not gotten any STDs that increase the risk of another arthritic attack.

Bottom line: do as much research as you can, take personal notes (e.g., blood pressure, heart rate, temperature, weight via spreadsheets) especially when you have attacks; the doctors love 'em; the documentation drives them "wild" and after you start a new med (I didn't think of that until recently). Stay as active as you can; walk, swim, bike; avoid running but try hill-bounding (see: https://cxcacademy.wordpress.com/tag/bounding/).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.