Help - abdominal pain that goes away when lying down

Posted , 73 users are following.

I'm a 22 yo female who was recently diagnosed with IBS. My doctor is not entirely sure that I have IBS though, as my symptoms are not typical of the condition. Around 2 weeks before my period is due, I begin to experience (at random times, usually when I'm out and about rather than at home) a pain in my abdominal area that feels like it is being squeezed. It sometimes feels like a shooting pain, and my mid section can be tender to the touch, but only during one of these 'attacks' and not at any other time. The pain will usually start around my belly button and spread all the way up to my stomach and down to my lower abdomen. The odd thing is that this pain will go away completely when I LIE DOWN!

Eventually, the pain will go away if I lie down for long enough but if I do get up, the pain will come back. My doctor finds my symptoms to be very unusual, and put me on Colofac for IBS which has not helped. I also have heartburn around this time of my menstrual cycle and am on Somac. I have had heartburn (few times a month) since I was 14yo. I eat a high fibre, healthy diet.

I'm really hoping theres someone who has had similar symptoms before who might be able to shed some light on whats going on!! 

3 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi mon2017a

How long does this pain last?..you could be getting these pains when you ovulate as you said it occurs 2 weeks before a period..that's when you ovulate 2 weeks before a period.....seems that IBS is health practitioner answer to everything when they do not know what is causing stomach pain...request an ultrsound or CT scan...best wishes..keep us posted..

• Posted

Hi lilian, 

Thanks for your reply! It can last anywhere between a few minutes to hours, but the pain only ever really goes away when I lie down for long enough! When I do this, my entire abdominal area relaxes and it is like an enormous pressure/weight has lifted. I also do think it has something to do with my menstrual cycle, as it only starts between day 15 - 20 of my cycle and can continue until the second day of my period. It is at this time that my GERD/heartburn symptoms flare up as well. I have read that at this time of the cycle, your progesterone levels skyrocket while your estrogen levels drop dramatically, so I believe it might have something to do with this... although my GP has said there is no need for a hormone test. I might try seeing a female practitioner or gynecologist who might have a better understanding of this. I will definitely request an ultrasound or CT scan at my next visit to the GP. He has asked me to come back next month to see if my symptoms persist after taking Ponstan which he has given me for what he suspects might be pain associated with ovulation/menstruation. 

Thanks again - will keep you posted smile 

• Posted

I am not sure if they are related at all but I have been experiencing very similar symptoms and I was recently diagnosed with PCOS. Abdominal pain is one of the symptoms.

• Posted

Hi mon2017a

No probs mon.....you may have blocked fallopian tubes which cause pain...mention to your doc as well as ultrasound and CT scan....an HSG test this is a Hysterosalpingogram that tests for block tubes...if you are presnting with pain theres something abnormal going on......say you want a second opinion which is your right as a patient....best wishes........

• Posted

Hormones can make IBS worse and IBS symptoms can be very variable from person to person. There is such a thing as Atypical IBS which means you have IBS but yoyr symproms are not typical of the condition.  Do you have a change of bowel habit?
  • Posted

I forgot to add that Colefac is not a good drug for IBS.  It rarely helps and causes a lot of side effects with no benefits.  When a doctor says your symptoms are unusual, this is code for 'I don't know what is wrong'. I was told my symptoms were confusing.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! That certainly seems to be the case with me, as my heartburn also pops up only around this time of the month too! I wonder if it could be a hormone imbalance or if this is considered 'normal'? I have thrown the Colofac out for that reason. As for change in bowel habit, I'd say I'm less regular during days 15-28 of my cycle which is when the pain occurs and I tend to feel constipated and very gassy. If you dont mind, what were your confusing symptoms? ??

• Posted

Hearburn is very common with the monthly cycle.  Diarrhoea or loose bowel movements are also common at this time.  I have experienced both these things. Acid reflux is also an IBS symptom.

My stomach pain and constipation started at the time of my period while I Iwas eating oranges for constipation. One of the doctors said that my symptoms were confusing and she hadn't got a clue.  She gave me Mebeverine which is what Colefac is and it made me a lot worse.  I threw those out.

I thought it was just a bad period or oranges were causing problems because I had just introduced them into my diet. Another doctor told me to come off oranges which made me 50% worse so I went back on them and I felt 50% better. Eventually after stool tests, celiac testing, urine samples and an ultrasound came bsck negative, I was diagnosed with IBS which can make periods fell a lot worse.

Feeling gassy is also an IBS symptom.

• Posted

Just wondering if you ever got any more answers on this from a doctor? I get he same thing and have tried searching for others who experience this with not much luck.  Mine usually starts in the morning when I get up (I haven't paid enough attention to when in my cycle it happens) and it can last anywhere from a few minutes to hours and only goes away when I'm laying down and usually laying down on my side. I had one doctor say it's a stomach acid balance thing, especially on an empty stomach. 

• Posted

I can definitely relate to these symptoms of pain and then once I’m lying down it’s like “poof” the pain is gone. I’ve been dealing with this for almost 10 years. I’ve noticed that the pain does seem to begin after at least 4-5 hours of not eating and then right before I do eat a meal. Then I eat the meal, and the pain gets severely worse. Since this has been going on for years, I have no been able to relate it to any particular food. But does seem to occur on weekends more often. Question for you ladies who have similar pain- have you ever taken the drug accutane? I have done 2 separate trials of it. And after the 2nd is when these pains started. 
    • Posted

I didn't take Accutane but I was on Nuvaring when it all have started.

Maybe there is some connection?

• Posted

omg! I thought I was crazy about how it starts before I eat and gets worse with eating! My pain started yesterday and it's still going strong. I'm at a loss.

• Posted

Hey @kristi8002, our symptoms sound identical! have you had any luck since posting this? I'm a dietitian and have never found answers to this however have never had any tests because my symptoms are so irregular (once every 4-6 months). Currently lying on tummy on the floor waiting for it to pass, a little afraid of getting up prematurely!

It only happens if I've waited too long to eat, have been hungry and it's either passed OR I'm still hungry, then eat. The pain is minor before eating but immediately once I've eaten (doesn't matter what or how much) the pain sets in. if i don't lie flat or somehow apply pressure to my stomach (upper abdominal region) the pain remains and often gets worse. It's the only way to get rid of it .

Currently still lying here, waiting for it to subside so that I can get up and check on dinner in the oven..! If I get up too soon the pain just comes back.

Eat v clean, can't pin it on any foods nor hormones/cycle.

• Posted

ihave the same problem for ten years, till now i dont know whats wrong with my stomach, and the problem started when i was not eating for long hours,

• Posted

I have this same thing and have not been able to figure it out! have you found any answers since?

• Posted

this is an old post, but every symptom you have stated down to things u can remember leading up to the "episodes" is exactly what ive been dealing with. crazy thing is, i was on accutane when i was 13 or so. ive gone to the er when this happened, and they did nothing. crazy thing is, i was laying in the bed and it went away, wasnt until today i realized laying down was the only thing that stopped it. but got up to early now the same pain is back. but yes accutane and same symptoms u have. no explanation. i did have h pylori which was "treated" but this was after years and years of extreme gerd and antiacids. was good for a couple months then all of gerd symptoms came back and this stomach pain thing

• Posted

Mine is usually unpredictable until the evening when i get a feeling in my stomach. After i eat, the extreme pain immediately sets in RIGHT WHEN I STAND UP(upper abdomen around the centre). it can only be resolved by lying down and since its usually night time already i just lay in bed till the following day. Same thing. The next day everything will be fine till the evening again where the cycle repeats and once i stand up after eating the pain sets in. Usually this happens once to thrice consecutively everyday before going away for a month or two. i am a male by the way. Anyone knows the reason this is happening please enlighten me.. it is so strange, frustrating and nerve wrecking and most importantly a waste of time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.