Help/advice needed about insomnia.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm at the beginning of my Sertraline journey, currently on day 12 of a 50mg dose. I've experience the common side effects of nausea, fatigue and increased anxiety levels, but these are beginning to settle. The problem I'm struggling with is severe insomnia. I'm currently surviving on about 3 1/2 hours of sleep per night, and I'm struggling to cope. I'm going to bed at the same time every night, around 10.15 pm, and fall asleep without a problem. I then wake up around 1.00 am, and I'm awake for hours. I've been experiencing sweats, and my body 'jumps' as I'm trying to go back to sleep. Lack of sleep is now having an impact on me during the day, and I'm becoming concerned as to how it will impact my physical and mental health.. I'd really like to hear about other people's experiences of this, and how they've coped. Will it eventually settle like the other side effects? Reassurance that I'm not the only person suffering with this would be really helpful for me. It can feel very lonely in the middle of the night 😦

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

Hi Sue I'm 8 weeks in (the last 5 on 100mg)

The insomnia was an issue for me but has settled significantly now. I also woke up wet through and that has stopped.

I went to my chemist's and asked for something to help sleep and they gave me Nytol one a night (not the herbal!). This helped greatly and I was able to switch off for a good 6 hours.

Now I can sleep for 9-10 hours... It's lovley!

Please ask them first obviously I'm just some random off the Internet!

Regards

• Posted

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I'm glad that you're sleeping well now. How long did you have to take Nytol for, before you were able to sleep without it?

• Posted

I'd say couple of weeks. It's a old fashioned antihistamine, but not great for you long term. Is this your first time taking an antidepressant?

Regards

• Posted

Yes it is my first time, and I'm finding it all quite overwhelming. I have no experience of anything like this, and I was quite reluctant to start taking them. My anxiety was having a huge impact on my life so I was really left with no choice. It already seems to be taking the edge off of my anxiety symptoms though, so it's worth the struggle. I previously did a CBT course via NHS Talking Therapy, but it wasn't as helpful as I was hoping. How about you?

• Posted

Oh its a shame the therapy wasn't helpful, I think it's a very rushed process on the NHS. And there's no shame in taking a tablet to ease your anxiety

I was on citalopram for about 8 years for anxiety. I was functioning well and they really were life changing. Last year the g. p asked if I'd like to taper off them as I was doing so well........ Big mistake! Tried to go back onto citalopram for 6 weeks and it was hell. Went back to work and crashed after 6 weeks. So decided to try sertraline and they seem to give me less side effects (although I did have some colourful ones! )

Things seem to be settling down now and I've started therapy

• Posted

I'm glad that things are settling down for you now. It sounds like you've had a tough time, and I'm sorry you had to go through that. I've been signed off from work since last November. My anxiety and stress is work related. The CBT course that I did was a group webinar course. I'm now on the waiting list for a more intensive 1:1 course, but it could be months before this happens, and I've been waiting since the beginning of January. My GP has been very supportive, and recommended a local counselling service. I'm thinking of giving them a try. I think you get to a point where you're prepared to try anything if it'll make you feel better!

• Posted

That's good your on the waiting list. And 1to1 will be good for you. And you could give the counselling a try?

Are you managing to get out at all?

I've suffered with it my whole life, the therapy I'm trying should help to try and get to the bottom of things, I'm lucky enough to have some help to go private this time.

I suffer with generalised anxiety then I get burnt out and depressed. Horrible way to be, but it does seem cyclical with me so hopefully it will get better soon.

I'm always in a rush to get better which is a big down fall of mine. I think the truth is it takes time.

• Posted

I agree with you that it takes time. I think you just have to go with how you feel, and let your body dictate when things will happen.

I try and get out for a long walk every day, but the weather is so depressing at the moment. I think we'll all feel better with some warmth and sunshine! I've managed to pluck up the courage to join a pilates class in my village, and it makes me feel amazing. It was well worth pushing through the severe anxiety I felt when walking into a room of strangers for the first time. I might as well have been walking into a den of lions!

Do you do any activities that you find helpful for your symptoms?

• Edited

That's great that you are trying to get out everyday. And that's impressive joining a new class when you feel the way you do!

I couldn't leave the house for about 3 weeks but slowly I've started getting out fishing and normally I keep in good shape with running and calisthenics, but I couldn't out run it this time lol but I am starting to slowly get going again

I don't smoke or drink alcohol either so it's quite frustrating when you do all the right things.

I've started ringing friends again which isn't easy, as I get quite embarrassed admitting I've had problems.

I also feel guilty for being off work and going out incase someone sees me, but that is slowly fading

• Edited

Don't feel embarrassed about admitting that you have been having problems. True friends will only want to help and support you. I've found that by talking about my struggles, several of my friends have felt able to talk about theirs. It's a lot more common than you think, and sharing information can help others.

I also feel guilty about being off work, but I'm learning to put myself first for a change. I've always been the sort of person that gives my all, at the expense of myself, which is what got me into this situation in the first place.

• Posted

Yes that's exactly me Sue, over Conscientious and high work rate lol.

I hope you improve soon. If you ever need to chat just inbox me

Regards Craig

• Edited

Thanks Craig, I really appreciate your support. you take care.

• Posted

Two things have really helped me with insomnia.

A few years ago I was on Sertraline for a few months and my sleep was made utterly miserable by those sudden, galvanic jumps of consciousness. The GP prescribed the beta blocker Propranolol, 10mg 3 times a day, one of them about an hour before bed. It did away with all those physical side effects and made sleep much better.

Fast forward to now, when the Bstard Anxiety struck again, after 5 years without a twinge. I'm on Fluoxetine now but it brought back the sleep issues. Not the sudden leaps this time but waking after 5 hours and not getting back to sleep again. For about 7 weeks I've been using a meditation app called Balance. Free for the first year but after a month I was so much better that I bought the Lifetime subscription! I'm relaxed when I go to bed and there's a 15 minute meditation called "Back to sleep". I swear I've never heard the end of it. I still wake up after 5 hours but now I get back off again.

I hope you begin to feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.