Help heating elderly

Posted , 4 users are following.

My grandparents worry about heating costs, so my grandad wont hardly put the heating on, what is the best temperature, ie the wall thermostat, the boiler set temp and the radiators? as I tried to help but he wont go through it with me, so I need to know what I am helping him with so it will keep them warm without costing so much. My mum is seeming to be very forgetful in her chatting to me now, shes now got anaemia, has to go to the hospital soon, and has had diabetes 2 for some years. My father does not feel the cold as she does. He puts the heating on when i come round, but off most when i am not there.i tried explaining about it to him, at least keeping it on enough to keep the room warm,but he says about how much he is paying monthly and cannot work out any other way. How can I get their energy costs down but keep them warm. My mum spends more time in her bedroom in bed watching tv, when she is not doing anything else to stay warm. I am so worried,..

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

An effective way to keep a person warm during the day (for example while watching the TV) is by using an electric heating blanket. They use very little electricity around 40 - 100 W (for comparison a kettle uses around 2000 W). For increased safety, I would recommend getting a heating blanket with an (adjustable) auto shut-off timer and a button to adjust the temperature.

Instead of sleeping with a heating blanket during the night, I would recommend heating the bed up before going to bed and then removing the heating blanket.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.