Help - is this withdrawal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all I am new to the forum and have found it of great benefit particularly in regards to co-codomol withdrawal. Can anyone please tell me if I am experiencing withdrawal as I have been on the highest dose for around 3 months but some days only taking 4 tabs the odd day 1 so it’s been a bit hit and miss but I have never gone without any. Just been diagnosed with fybromyalgia and in extreme pain. I am experiencing anxiety feel really strange in the head that I can’t explain, headaches, nausea, no appetite, can’t sleep and really down - am refusing to take another co-codomol but am struggling to know if this is due to withdrawal even though only taking one a day . Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

To be honest, I do no t think it is withdrawal. You have only been on cocodamol 3 months and have not taken more Han the maximum dose. Unless you have are

really unlucky you would not have withdrawal symptoms in these circumstances. If you are suffering extreme pain from fibro myalgia how are you going to deal with it when you stop the cocodamol?

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply - I guess your right and yes I am concerned about managing my Fibro pain but have stopped the co codomol as they were not relieving my pain any more. Have now been prescribed Pregabalin and an anti inflammatory so fingers crossed
    • Posted

I guess I am fortunate because co-codamol does deal with my pain. I used to be on anti-inflammatories but because of Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease I had to be taken off them which is why I am now on co-codamol and am thankful that they work and for me have no side effects.  Also as compared to many people I have built up no tolerance to them and am still on the same dose as I was when I started. I will pray that your pregabalin and inflammatories will work.
    • Posted

hey, just been reading about your story and i dont suffer with fibro but i do suffer with tiezn syndrome ( if thats how you spell it) and i'm in agony all the time, iv just come off codeine which i was taking 240mg of.. i took my self off them because i thought id become addicted but it was to late... but i have overcome that by weaning down to paracetamol then lowering that dose.. it was hard but it works along side a hot water bottle and rest!!

• Posted

So at highest the dose how many tablets are you doing? Also what strength? If you are taking the max amount you will build a tolerance to them! Still painkillers are only meant to be short term, so you will have a dependence It's just happens.

It could be a mild withdrawal from not having your usually dose but at least your at the low end! I had back problems and built a tolerance for painkillers, and as the dr said anyone on pain med for over 3wks will need to be slowly tapered down! 

Also Lyrica or (Pregabalin) can work well with some ppl as i've used them.....

Cheers  

• Posted

Hi nathan37 appreciate your reply - have been on the highest dose taking only 4-5 a day but some days only one. Have read even only taking the one can cause withdrawal. Doctor does not agree but feel so unwell. Hopefully things will ease over the next few days - take care
    • Posted

I have to say that I have been on co-codamol for over 10 years, and have never built a tolerance of them so I had to increase the dose,  never suffered side effects and not one GP or consultant surgeon (orthopaedic, heart, and hepato biliary) has ever suggested I come off them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.