Help me. I convince myself I have done something I haven't!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, for the past few weeks I have been dwelling on a night out about 3 months ago. I got really drunk, and do not really remember much. I lost all my friends and I keep convincing myself I have done something really bad, when deep down I know I probably just staggered home. I keep visualising possible scenarios to an extent where i am starting to believe them! Is this a problem with anyone out there? 

Its just taken over my life for the past two weeks (seems strange i know)

Is it possible to convince yourself and visualise possible scenes about something you haven't actually done?!

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey Matt 

Do not fear you are not alone! I spent 3 days interrogating my brother because I'd left a voice mail on my boyfriends phone when very drunk and couldn't remember doing it at all! There was no reason for me to have said anything bad but I convinced myself it must have been awful to the point where if I didn't hear from him I thought he'd dumped me! do u get anxious about other things just out of interest? but anyway i whether u do or u don't I think (and my friend said this too) that i think drink Can cause u to feel guilty Cos u know it makes things seem a great idea at the time when theyre probably not and can make people selfish, so when u don't remember anything then ur most probably going to think the worst. 

is there anyone that can help u remember what u might have done? also try thinking to urself even if u had done whatever awful things you're imagining whats the worst that could be the outcome of it and is that really worth the worry smile hope helps a bit smile

• Posted

Hi Sara,

Thanks for your reply smile Yes I do get anxious but not to this extreme.

There is no one that can help me, I was in a different city and had lost all my friends. 

Mine stems from the fact that one visual recollection led me to think of lots of differnt scenarios that could have happened, I don't know if it actually happened or its just my imagination. Then i got paranoid thinking someone had video recorded it and keep thinking 'what if'

I know all this sounds strange, but I just keep visualising possible situations in my head, and its doing my head in sad

Thanks.

• Posted

this is my main anxiety thoughts. Thinking that someone has videos of me and would ruin my whole life even though i make these situations up in my head i cant seem to just forget them.Everyday my head is making things up and even going back to times where i was 17/18 and that was 7 years ago! you are definitely not alone in this.

• Posted

Dear Matt. I am sure that you have done nothing out of character so please do not worry Unecce

• Posted

if it starts taking over your life, please see a psychologist or psychiatrist; even though they get a bad rap, they can help with either biofeedback, talk therapy or medication
  • Posted

yes, 100% my overthinking and anxiety has taken over my life. No evidence to suggest i have done anything wrong. I just fill in the blanks with worse case scenarios,

• Posted

same as me. worse case scenarios like im going to lose everything ! even though i am sure i have not done anything of the sort wrong

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.