HELP!!! MY PARTNER IS COMING OFF PAROXETINE TOO FAST !

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can anyone out there give any advice.

My last post mentioned my partner coming off Paroxetine and my concerns that he had been advised to taper too quickly. Now I am really worried.

He has reduced from 50mg to 10mg in just 4 weeks in order to be weaned onto another antidepressant Mirtazapine which would have less side-effects regarding his libido.

I felt at the time that he was going too fast and his behaviour has become very odd. he is normally a kind and quiet person, now transformed into someone I do not recognise, incoherent at times and markedly more aggressive and bad tempered.

He will not listen to me when I mention he seems different and begging him to take this reduction more slowly. Our relationship is already suffering because of this and I am glad we do not live together right now. He seems to think I am watching him but I am making allowances as he is withdrawing and I know how bad this can be. He has not mentioned feeling bad and is determined to see it through. He took the first Mirtazapine last night.

This begs the question, how will he know what is an effect of the new tablet when he is withdrawing and suffering those effects also. He knows my views and they seem to irritate him.

I am concerned for someone I love and feel helpless right now. Any advice out there would be more than welcome.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hey, that is a massive drop in such a short space of time! what does his gp say? everyone's different but I would be as concerned as you. its important to take it slow in order to see if you're reacting x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, it was his GP who recommended this reduction but she also told my partner to warn his friends and family he was withdrawing!!!

He has done this type of reduction in the past and it failed because he said the new drug made him "aggressive". I think that would have been the reduction and withdrawal causing that.

His doctor did tell him to contact her if he had problems, but he is stubbornly thinking he can get it over with!!! These mind altering drugs are not to be messed with as you say.

Are there any GPs on this site??? I doubt it.

• Posted

I think I came off my Paroxetine too quickly too. I was on it for over 20 years, later at 40 mg. I then changed to Sertraline but had three months of absolute hell with withdrawal symptoms and side-effects of the new drug. I couldn't sleep or eat, was extremely anxious and kept vomiting. I saw it through and am much better now.

I would definitely say go extremely slowly coming off Paroxetine. I think it's quite a toxic drug.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and I am glad to hear that my concern is not unfounded.

Well done you for coming off this vile drug.

My partner seems to be eating OK and sleeping well, especially last night when he took the new tablet...........

You are so right about it being toxic, how are you finding the Sertraline?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.