Help very scared!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I have been bleeding on and off and passing mucus with my stool for 5/6 Years I'm 24 years of age and have did 6 stool tests in the last 3 months.

3 weeks ago I did a stool test where the inflammation level was 77.5 so doctor who thought it was ibs was not worried as I didn't have a high enough inflammation level for it to be anything serious but me being me wanted a colonoscopy just to be sure there is nothing sinister going on. So he persuaded me to do one more stool test this time my inflammation level went up to 255am now Booked in to the gaestroentrolgy department at the hospital I think for a colonoscopy!

Now ow I have only had bright blood in stools never dark or congested blood and often pass mucus in/on the stool too,I have no real abdominal pain in the tummy but I do pass wind quite regularly so the main worry is what diseases/conditions will a colonoscopy look for?.. Obviously Colon Cancer but what else....when the doctor told me the results over the phone she mentioned see if the inflammation it due to gastroenteritis or piles..but what else any help would be great!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michael,

You are so young to be suffering and worrying. I had a colonoscopy in March, not as unpleasant a procedure as i thought but do make sure you request sedation, very important. Bright red blood means that it is only coming from the end of the bowel where it has not had time to be digested or change colour. This is usually piles, would be rare for it to be anal cancer or rectal cancer at your age. Dark red blood comes from higher up and could be an ulcer, polyps or rarely a tumour. More likely to be inflammation of some kind, like colitis or chrohns should be ruled out. I had both piles and two polyps which were dealt with immediately during the colonoscopy. You are quite right to seek further tests and good of you to persevere. Even if you only gain peace of mind it will be worth putting yourself through this. I found the worse part was drinking all the stuff to empty my bowel the day before, the drinks tasted horrid. Hope all goes well for you.

Susan

• Posted

Hey Susan thanks for taking the time to comment smile

when you do the Colonoscopy how long does it generally take to get back your results and do they only take a biopsy if they find something sinister?

i do believe I have piles to as when I sit down to poo or if I squat then something pops downs but when I'm done pops write back up,I have had a lot of string mucus also over the last 3 days.

• Posted

My colonoscopy took 50 minutes and the consultant performing the procedure talked to me throughout explaining everything he could see as it happened. I was sedated but actually found it fascinating watching my insides on the screen, i am a former nurse. There was a nurse with me all the time who was so lovely. They took 2 polyps away as they found them, they thread a wire up through the colonoscopy tube to strangle it as it were and then laser it off and send it away for analysis. You see a little puff of smake as it burns off. I could not feel anything. Anything supicious they take a biopsy which takes a week to come back. If it is cancer they ring you immediately with an appointment.Not sure of they treat piles immediately as they usually do this under general anaesthetic.

Good luck, i am sure you will be fine. They gave me a cuppa and sandwiches after mine.

• Posted

Hi Susan,

This was so helpful for me.

I'm 23 years old and started with pain/pressure in my middle ear and slight sore throat

The doctor diagnosed this as GERD and after 2 weeks of taking PPIs I realised that medication won't help but lifestyle and dietry changes will!

I have now cleaned up my diet to include fruits, veggies and moderate amounts of dairy, alcohol and carbs.

I researched and came up with every type of disease available such as;

GERD, dyphagia, wheat allergy, gluten intolerance, gastro something, anaemia, candida (which I think has very much to do with the symptoms).

Try testing your Vitamin D, magnesium, calcium and vitamin A (not really a test but everyone could use some more) and supplementing deficiencies.

I am still struggling but have hope that things will imrpove.

It's well over a year since you two posted but I wonder what your progress has been?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.