Help with alternatives to HRT

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, I am hoping to get some helpful advice regarding alternatives to hormones.  A little bit about myself: I am 33 yrs old. I suffered since I was 12 with Endometriosis, not knowing what it was until I became sexually active at 22 and had an OBGYN exam for pain.  Fast forward to 28, I had a hysterectomy w/removal of my left ovary. The Dr. opted to keep my right ovary as it wasn't completely destroyed by the cyts/endo at that point. Forward again 2 years, and I found myself in emergency surgery for a torsion. My right ovary twisted, died and had been negrotic inside for about a week.  Now, at 33, after endless tweaking of hormones, I am on Estradiol, 2mg once a day, and Progesterone. I have gained 30 lbs and am miserable because of it. My self esteem has gone down the tubes. More important that weight gain is the concern I have about side effects of long term use in hormones, including breast cancer.  I have been around and around in circles with my doctors about this, but they insist due to my age that I can not, not be on hormones. They say I will age quickly, my skin will wrinkle, hair will fall out, will not sleep, etc. ( And I have to say that when I did experiement short therm with no homrones at all, that I did indeed suffer some of they above symptoms). Has anyone or is anyone going through the same or a similiar experience that can offer support or suggestions?  No one I know understands, especially since the woman I know who are dealing with menopause are late 40's, early 50's.  It's not only physical, but also emotional, as the choice to have another child was stripped away, and my body which has alays been tall and lean is now not. I do not know how to deal with all of to this. Anyone?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Oh my heart goes out to you. I'm a bit older was 39 when same endo and the hysterectomy and ovary removal. 40 now. My consultant assured me that risk of breast cancer was higher in those taking hrt as a top up later on in life not when you are replacing hormones lost through surgery. The risk of not having them at least til normal menopause age is aging, osteoporosis, dementia. I didn't want any more children but even then the option being taken away still affected me. I keep having to tell myself I have quality of life not in pain and need to make the best of it. I'm only 10 weeks post op and put over a stone on already so share your pain. I think I'm going to go to slimming world and see if I can stop any more going on. It is also a sign of not taking enough estrogen. Are you able to go back and check. There is very little research on early menopause and hrt but I am now saying to myself as there is nothing I can do to reverse it I must try my hardest to not think about the what ifs. Good luck xx
    • Posted

Hi there,

I am sorry you are going through something so similiar, and recently. It is so hard to adjust to this new life.  I feel that people don't really understand how it is, or what it is like because it is not something you can see, like a broken leg, or something. Anyhow, I actually was on a higher dose of estrogen, but the doctor wanted me at a lower mg. I am still considered on a high dose at 2mg per day, so I doubt she will raise it again. The other problem is what you stated. There is so little on this topic, and what is avaialbe, is difficult to understand, for me anyways.  Most articles are talking about 'natural' menopause, not foreced.  Best of luck to you in the future!

• Posted

Thank you and you. Have you tried different type of estrogen hrt as not all suits everyone. Not that I'm allowed any for 6 months so no expert but Gp said that I need to be prepared for trial and error til one suits. Looking forward to that !!
    • Posted

I have tried different types, creams, and levels, but quite frankly, my memory is another thing that has suffered greatly!  I am suprised I remembr my own last name these days. Before, I could remember anything and everything, never needed a calendar, could remember someones phone number after hearing it once. Today, it's
    • Posted

quite pathetic!
  • Posted

Hi i was suffering from over 50 hot flashes a day, was on hrt, i just completed the hormone reset i came off the hrt 4 days in and so far have had no flushes, i lost 10lb in weight. The author of the book is sara gottfield, it's not that easy to keep to but the fact the weight comes off every day and the inches melt is the motivation to keep going, usually diets slow up and you lose the incentive not with this reset which is what it is. I strongly recommend reading the book and give it a try. Anything that may help is worth it. If you do give it a try and it works for you spread the word. Good luck xxxxxx
  • Posted

By the way, the first 3 days is to reset estrogen levels xx
    • Posted

Not sure if this works if we have had ovaries removed so have nothing naturally to reset and are both young. I know if ovaries still there they still secrete small amounts into 80s sometimes but that's not going to happen in our case so we need something to see us through to normal menopause age at least or are you in same position of medical menopause early?
  • Posted

If you look at the book which is written by a doctor you will be able to find out, one of the resets is for insulin which is the thing to control blood sugar also thyroid which would help with weight control. I always say anythinngs worth a try. As a family we have been Bowen therapy read about that and see if you have a therapist in your area. The lady my husband, sister in law mum and brother in law have had amazing results. My sister in law for hormone problems and see has no symptoms now and only went 3 times. good luck xx
  • Posted

I was asking the same question, communicating with doctors, ladies all around, if anyone could tell me anything.

As far as I can tell, and I also had my share of misfortune with uterus, lost a pregnancy in 4th months and had to remove uterus - stomach remained bugled and fat-looking though it's not.

I was told to try and consume lots of soy products (supposedly ladies from the Far East have less problems due to consumption of soy but nobody could give me a study for it.) So I have consumed soy before at least once a day because I do not eat meat, and I introduced macca powder into my diet, which had absolutely had no effect on me. It only crashed my thyroid because nobody told me it has to be checked prior to consumption (and I was lazy to check). Althogh, some ladies did tell me macca helped then enormously for energy boosting, their weight control and also with less night sweats.

Not me.

I am also very fit, I ride a bike 1 hr a day and do various excercies.

What else - I do consume coconut oil because someone told me it is good for everything. I consume magnesium and various other vitamins and minerals but as I said - nothing really helps.

It is not as if I was using all that for 1 day, I used it all for a whole of 6 months maybe more.

Now I am back on Anegliq for 10 days now, hoping it will kick in as it did the first time I used it.

Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.