Help with cellulitis-GP's refuse to see me due to pandemic

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have just completed a 2 week course of Flucloxacillin for cellulitis - diagnosed by online consult with photos. I have no knowledge of cellulitis. Further online consult with GP - infection will definitely be gone after 2 weeks, will just be inflammation left in skin. Has prescribed more antibiotics to take if something gets worse. I asked if he could look at it and he refused. Redness within skin has gone but left with rough red patches on surface of skin.

What can i expect? I have never had any pain just itchiness. Have been using cetraben cream all the way through. Also get clear fluid leaking a little towards end of the day - stops overnight.

Does any of this sound normal? Advice to reduce inflammation and stop fluid? Any help please

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Same here went through the photo thing and telephone consultation prescribed some cream. a week later when both legs had started shedding dead skin and become infected we were prescribed a course of antibiotics. a fortnight later when asked for another photo we were sent to A & E at local hospital who prescribed another dose of antibiotics. and a trip to district nurse who said things are going on ok and to come back next week. week later different nurse who said cover with bandages and use cream. What a good idea covered up overnight. changed the bandages next morning and all the skin platelets came away with bandages making them sore and now they are still leaking 6 weeks on, dont know if what we are doing is correct so any advise on this will be eagerly watched for.

• Posted

On advice of pharmacist I wore tubigrip and used kitchen towel for 48 hours ( didn't have any dressings big enough!). The leaking is body's way of flushing wound and as long as it stays clear it is okay. Also elevated leg as much as possible. Kept using emollients 3 times per day. Put sudocrem on at night and it seemed to help drying out process. The light compression seemed to do the trick. Thank goodness for a decent pharmacist and the Internet. I would try and see/speak to nurse again - leaking for 6 weeks seems excessive. it may be normal for healing process but when it happens to you and you don't have experience of it then nurses see this stuff every day. Good luck!

• Posted

thanks for the reply ..sounds like its worked for you i am still going on with same scenario so will try a talk with nurse. Once again thanks for the advise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.