Help with MRI results

Posted , 4 users are following.

I got my final results from MRI. Does any of this indicate that it could be cauda equina?

MR Spine Lumbar (MR SPINE LUMBAR) - Final result (06/02/2018 6:02 PM)

Procedure Note

Interface, Imaging Results In - 06/02/2018 6:48 PM EDT

MRI LUMBAR SPINE WITHOUT CONTRAST:

HISTORY: Chronic low back pain. Left leg numbness. Degenerative disease. Cauda equina syndrome.

COMPARISON: None

TECHNIQUE: Routine, high-resolution, and multiplanar imaging was performed.

FINDINGS: Assuming 5 lumbar type vertebral bodies, the conus terminates at the L1 level. Lumbar vertebral body heights are preserved. Degenerative disc disease with disc desiccation at the L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1 levels. Mild loss of disc space height at the L4-5 level and more moderate loss of disc space height at L5-S1. Slight retrolisthesis of L5 on S1. Facet arthropathy. The osseous marrow signal is mildly heterogenous. Degenerative changes involving the sacroiliac joints.

T11-12: Disc bulge with osteophytosis with slight indentation of the anterior aspect of the thecal sac.

T12-L1: No significant narrowing.

L1-2: No significant narrowing.

L2-3: No significant narrowing.

L3-4: Disc bulge with small area of annular fissure possibly with associated disc protrusion at the 6:00 position. Facet arthropathy and thickening ligamentum flavum. Mild central canal narrowing.

L4-5: Disc bulge with osteophytosis, facet arthropathy and thickening ligamentum flavum. Focal left paracentral disc herniation measuring 1 cm in transverse dimension and 0.8 cm in AP thickness. There is focal narrowing at the left portion of the central canal and thecal sac related to disc herniation. It compresses the left L5 nerve as it is exiting the thecal sac. It also displaces the left S1 nerves in the thecal sac. Otherwise mild narrowing of the thecal sac towards the right side. Mild neural foraminal narrowing bilaterally.

L5-S1: Disc bulge with osteophytosis, facet arthropathy and thickening ligamentum flavum. There is a broad-based left paracentral disc herniation measuring 1.5 cm in transverse dimension at its base by 0.6 cm in AP thickness. There is narrowing of the anterior portion of the central canal and lateral recess regions, left greater than right. There is compression of the left S1 nerve. Moderate to severe right and mild to moderate left neural foraminal narrowing.

IMPRESSION:

1. Degenerative disc disease and facet arthropathy.

2. At L4-5, there is a focal left paracentral disc herniation. Focal narrowing of the left portion of the central canal and thecal sac related to this. There is compression of the left L5 nerve. There is also some displacement of left S1 nerves in the thecal sac. Mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.

3. At L5-S1, there is a broad-based left paracentral disc herniation. There is narrowing of the anterior portion central canal and lateral recess regions, greater on the left side. There is compression of the left S1 nerve. Moderate to severe right and mild to moderate left neural foraminal narrowing.

I have been in increasingly severe pain for 7 days now. The last few days I have only urinates twice when I usually go 6-10 times a day, I'm usually incredibly sensitive to even the tiniest amount of urine on my bladder. I have to severely strain to have a bowel movement and when I do it's only a little bit and I usually go at least once a day, but usually twice. I am having some numbness in my perineum and buttocks. Up until yesterday all my sciatic symptoms were only on the left side but I have started noticing issues with my right.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 

Have you had previous surgery for CES?If you have numbness in saddle area and changes to bladder and bowel please get yourself checked out as soon as you can. If your ability to walk is being effected your body is telling you more than an MRI possibly can. Best of luck getting medical help quickly, don't take no for an answer if you need the surgery. If your post surgery, sadly chronic CES symptoms can also come and go in my experience, but it's best to get as much medical advice and support as soon as you can either way. Take care

• Posted

Brother...I went through the same situation few days ago.

You have what is called initial stages of Cauda Equina Syndrome (CES).

The more you wait, the higher the risk of your getting damaged.

This is an medical emergency, the neurosurgeon will perform a procedure called Lumbar Laminectomy.

In my situation I have currently lost bowel movement and cannot get an erection, however I am able to walk and control my bladder.

I am worried if this bladder control will come back or how long will it take for the control to come back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.