Help with Peripheral neuropathy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've experienced parestesia (pins and needles, shocks) all over my body every few seconds after a chiropractor adjustment 6 weeks ago. It has only gotten worse in intensity as I could only feel it when I move but lately I feel it even lying still.  2 weeks into it my right toe started feeling numb which progressed to stabbing pains and numbness throughout my foot. In the last week my left foot has done the same thing.

My symptoms sound exactly like peripheral neuropathy.  I've had numerous tests (EMG/Nerve, Neck MRI & CT, Lumbar MRI, MRA of Brain and Neck). Nothing has really been found execpt a mild buldging disck and small annulear tear in my back. My thoracic spine has not been imaged.

My neurologist did a blood work-up for periheral neuropathy (B12, copper, diabetes, etc) which came back normal. Since they havent found anything on the MRIs they think it must be in my head.

I've read neuorpathy can be caused by spinal nerve compression which sounds like something the chiropractic adjustment could have caused since my symptoms started immediatly after.  

Has anyone experienced similar neuropathy symptoms due to nerve compression and what did it feel like? I'm at a loss of what to do next or just wait it out longer to see if it gets better even though it feels getting worse

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If the symptoms started after the chiropractor it sure suggests that is the cause. I would complete your MRI by checking the thoracic spine.

You might try going on gabapentin and starting physical therapy.

Compression in the spine can cause so many different, and changing, symptoms so it seems very plausible.

• Posted

thanks for the reply, I was told by my neuro that if my spine was compressed it would show on the EMG as well and I would have some type of localized pain which I dont (pain is all over sporadic).
  • Posted

I have neuropathic pain which is caused by a prolapsed disc which presses on the nerve root.  The pain I have is chronic from my right buttock down my thigh to my calf muscle.  I can only walk a few steps and now am taken in a wheelchair when I go out.  I also don't sleep very well due to the pain.

i haven't had your symptoms but this neuropathic pain can attack in different places.

The bulge in your spine you mention is what I have.  I am waiting to go into hospital to have a discetomy on my spine.  Unfortunately my op has been cancelled twice because of a blood clot and another factor.

I didn't have any back problems just a continual throbbing pain in my calf.  Then the pain progressed to my buttock and I can now barely sit without the shooting pain travelling down my leg.  

I would suggest you have another meeting with your doctor.  The fact that your CT scan etc has shown a slight bulging disc it is possibly the slight bulge is causing compression of your nerve root.  This can get worse.  

Mine was left too long as my GP just kept giving me pain cream to rub on my leg.  Eventually I was referred to the hospital and had CT scans.  I am now under the orthopaedic consultant who has told me my trouble has been left too long!  The operation I have to have is difficult as the bulge has got so large.  He was amazed when I told him that I kept asking to be referred to the hospital but my GP just kept giving me pain cream!

So I suggest get this sorted whilst the bulge is not too big!  Best of luck and I will be thinking of you.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. The neurologist went over my lumbar MRI which showed the buldge but he showed me how it was not pressing on any of the nearby nerve roots or impinging so it could not be causing the symptoms I'm experiencing.

• Posted

Yes mine did the same. I wouldn't give as much credit to their conclusion. I have even heard my spine guy talk about times when the MRI doesn't seem bad, but only after surgery do they realize the extent of the damage.

They could try investigatory cortisone injections but I would also try physical therapy and exercise in parallel.

Also get a few other spine dr opinions

• Posted

That's good news then.  I wish my GP had done more!  I've already been told it's unlikely I will have a 100% cure.  If I'm lucky it might be 75-50% cure.  I try not to think about my op.  I go on the 19th Oct for my Pre Assessment prior to my op.  

I have also been told that I shouldn't have an operation until I have been on Warfarin for 6 months.   If I do actually have my op at the beginning of November I have only been on Warfarin 5 months!  Still, the consultant will know this so I will wait and see.  I will you all informed!  

• Posted

I have neuropathy in both legs from my hips to my toes from 4 back surgeries it hurts bad. I have tried all the meds out there but one thing you might want to try is something called The Rebuilder you put you feet in water and it's like a tens unit, ask your doctor about it I swear by it! I still have a counter full of meds but this thing works give it a look on YouTube, hope it helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.