Help with strange symptoms ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone my name is Tom and I'm 18. I've recently had extreme anxiety and panic attacks, I've been to the GP who prescribed sertraline (I've been on sertraline previously around 8 months ago) its now day 4 on sertraline and I've been having strange symptoms that I put off as I also suffer from GERD. Some of these symptoms include: increased anxiety, excess saliva, strange taste in mouth like metall, feel like a pool of water in my mouth and difficulty swallowing. Please help as I'm seriously worried and need help. Thanks alot

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

When I first began taking sertraline 50mg my anxiety symptoms did intensify in the beginning. But if you can hang in there they will dissipate and after a few weeks, as the medication gets back into your system, you will start to feel much better and able to cope.

The GERD is a seperate issue. I too have GERD. The metallic taste, the excess of fluid in the mouth are common GERD symptoms. The difficulty in swallowing is more likely than not due to you worrying about the symptoms....difficulty in swallowing is a common anxiety symptom. The throat muscles tense and the more you focus upon it the tension exacerbates

Were you prescribed GERD medication? If not it is worth paying another visit to your GP and discussing the problem. I was prescribed Lansoprazole and a one a day capsule eliminates the symptoms

I know its not easy to disregard your symptoms nor should you. But honing in on them, "watching" them so to speak, adds fear and panic. As does bunching them all together.

Deal with them one by one

You can swallow. It just feels as though you cannot because you are tense

The taste is unpleasant but drinking lots of fluids will ease your mouth and your throat

Please don't be afraid. Yes, the symptoms are unpleasant but you can and will overcome themsmile They are not anything to fear, nasty as they are. They are not life threatening even if they scare the hell out of you

Its all good in the sense that you have Anxiety/Panic disorder and GERD. You can deal with both!

• Posted

Hey Helen thanks alot for getting back to me I was prescribed omeprazole 20mg for GERD which has helped alot with heartburn, my main issue is this weird baking soda taste in my mouth but this is probably from acid I'm not sure. And I will keep taking the sertraline just hoping it's not too long now ?.

• Posted

The sour taste in the mouth is very common with GERD. Hopefully once your meds kicks in this will go away....it did with mesmile It takes time, I know, and whilst youre waiting it seems like FOREVER! But it will go away. I think the acid reflux is responsible for the nasty taste. I cannot remember what the excess fluid in the mouth is called so forgive for for that. Something like backwash.

Theyre both tied in anyway. The acid rises which causes the burning sensation and then comes the mouth full of saliva

Just hang in there Tom. Things will get better. Every day is a healing day! And dont make the mistake I made! Once my symptoms disappeared I just stopped taking the meds. I was okay for a short while and then bang! they were back with vengeance and I was back to square one!

Let me know how you get on smile

• Posted

I forgot to mention eating. I know it sounds ridiculous but how and when you eat matters a lot. I found eating little and often the best. I'f I ate too much at one sitting I bloated and felt like crap and the symptoms resurfaced..not as bad as pre-medication but still uncomfortable,Much the same with going hungry. And no late suppers! LOL they're a demon I can tell you, the food laying like a big ole brick in your belly,

I found it was about balance. Neither overloading nor neglecting your stomach.

Once you get the Gerd under control, and you will, then you can focus about dealing with anxiety, which will lessen once your tummy settles down

Stay positive, which is a healer in itself, and good luck!

Helen

• Posted

Hi,regarding the acid reflux,i found not eating 3 to 4 hours before bed the bigest help. I rarely get it now even if i eat late,but for about a whole year it was bad. Also sleeping on the left side helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.