Hemiplegic Migraine and Amitriptyline, is it progressive?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have just seen this forum. I was diagnosed with Hemiplegic Migraine in October 2008 at the age of 44.

I have been on Amitriptyline since diagnosis. Firstly 25mg a day then 50mg in the last couple of years. Although I have only had 2 episodes, mine have only been brought about due to trauma/shock to the body. Once diagnosed my headaches ceased.

Firstly I was suffering from slight to moderate headaches every day. Migraines that give blurred/watery vision but no headache now and again. I had scans and tests and eye tests. Thought it might be stress. I was told I needed reading glasses and that eased the headaches for a while. Mild Migraines were infrequent but if I lay down in darkness the vision became normal and all was OK after 10 minutes or so.

Then one day I was gardening and a long thin branch from a bush I was working beneath whipped back and hit me straight on the open eye, knocking me to the ground. It was very painful and I got a headache but everything else was fine until I got up for work the next morning.

I got out of bed and stumbled to me left banging my left should in to the wall. Then into the hallway and did it again then my left side of my face went numb and my left arm and leg became numb. I thought I was having a stroke.

I phoned the Dr and he told me that if my wife could drive then get me to hospital asap via the Dr's surgery to pick up a letter to bypass Accidents and Emergency and get attention immediately.

I was feeling OK, just week and numb on my left. I was sat down to give blood, the nurse said my veins were hard to find (normally my veins can be seen from the other side of the room) and I passed out (needles/injections don't bother me but I got a ribbing!). I was grey and very week and my speech was slurred. I was hospitalised and tested. They thought it was a TIA.

The next day I was feeling right as reign and the consultant told me it was Hemiplegic Migraine. I was prescribed 25mg Amitriptyline daily.

My second episode  was when I had a motorcycle accident 2 years later. I shattered my right rist and broke my left shoulderblade. I was bruised across my chest and upper arms. I got a lift by car to the nearest hospital 5 miles away. I started feeling nauseous and in pain.

During the x-ray of my right wrist I started feeling my left side tingle and start going numb. Before I could tell the technician I couldn't move either arm my speech became so slurred and my left eye paralised she ran out shocked to get a nurse and Dr. I couldn't tell them what was wrong as I couldn't talk properly and my left eye wouldn't move when they shone a light into it.

They were more shocked and affraid than I was. 10 minutes later I could focus and talk and the staff were relieved! Later my prescription was increased as my headaches were starting again.

Four years on and no more episodes, even tho I have had 2 further motorcycle accidents, (not due to a migraine tho!) one a broken ankle and the other being knocked unconscious with no injuries other than a twisted ankle.

My headaches have started coming back although only slight. I'm wondering if they may get worse and I'll be told to increase to 75mg, which is the maximum I believe.

Is this a progressive condition? Hope you're all coping OK.

Cheers

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You have my empathy, I have had Migraine on and off for around the past 30 years. Most times as we age they usually lessen which is a good thing. As you had injury this did not help, though it is understandable why they thought you had a TIA it was my first thought reading this.

Amitiptyline is one drug I have not been on. Though do take Sanomigran 1.5mg daily, which is beta blocker. Also I am on Migraleve, which are taken at the unset of a migraine.

Have you told your GP about what is happening with this medication? 

Hope you improve, it should not be progessive though everyone is different.

• Posted

Hi Petered, thanks for the words, hope you are OK (as OK as can be expected!). My GP increased my meds and to date the headaches are slight and infrequent, so hoping I can stay away from my GP for a while yet!

Take care.

Rich

• Posted

Hi Ricardo

I think the infrequency of your attacks is due to the medication. I am ok as long as I take mine but if I reduce it the migraine hits me for six. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.