Hereditary High BP at 30

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I am in incredible shape and i have a really good diet. I have always known that I have had high blood pressure since I was 18, but no doctor ever told me i needed to do anything about it, until the other day. The doctor brought in several other doctors to lecture me about my blood pressure levels and said I need to be on medication. They said it may not affect me now, but can at any day. They said any one of my major artieries could start to shut down. They informed that I had 180/113 and that was the highest levels they've seen in sometime. They claimed it doesnt matter how perfect my diet is or how much I exercise, it won't change my bp since its hereditary. Is there any other options to lower my BP other than taking meds? I am someone that does not like to put anything like that in my body. I only resort to meds at an absolute last restort. I feel no different then i've always felt. I only went to the doctor due to having walking pneomonia, which is the first time i've been to the doctor in years. That's when they informed me of my "deadly" hypertension. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to lower my bp as an alternative to medications? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

None of us likes to take medication but with that very high diastolic figure I would listen to your GP and get on to medication asap. You say you are already fit and healthy so there is little we can advise especially if you are already eating sensibly. No amount of the usual recommendations like avoiding salt and drinking plenty of water and exercise will help if it is hereditary. I know a young man approaching his mid-40's who has been on BP medication since he was in his early 20's and he is fine. Good luck!

• Posted

Mrs.O is right, your BP really is very high especially given your age.  I think my attitude to my hypertension diagnosis was pretty similar to yours - I was furious and felt it was a stigma etc etc !! But eventually I accepted the inevitable medication and so must you. It really is no big deal so long as you don't have any unpleasant side effects.  The drs will always alter the medication if you do.  All the best.

• Posted

You said you didn't want to take any medicine unless it was a last resort. this is your last resort you need to take it or you will have a stroke or heart attack. it is weakening your whole body and your kidneys please take medicine so you will have a long life let us know how it goes. With regards from Diana

• Posted

Thank you for your replies. It seems I may have to go the route of medication. I really dont want to experience the side effects of BP medicine though. I don't have insurance and I make too much for Medical. I am not about to invest into Obamacare, so i'll have to go find a free clinic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.