Herniated disc report

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi ive had a disc problem for over 6 years and about 4 years ago it was at its worst and i ended up in hospital and couldnt walk, it was down to a combination of sitting while working (im a tattooist) and i boxed for years so probably wear and tear of twisting and turning alot. I had an mri and really didnt get any feedback or physio just told that it was bad, put on the list for a cortisone injection and sent on my way. I did eventually have the injection and it helped alot to mask the pain and i could get about a bit easier.

last February I paid for an MRI because i was still in pain but nowhere near as bad but unless i was crippled like i was 4 years ago i would never get one on the NHS and i really wanted to know where i was at so i could make a decision on how to rehab or handle the recovery back to normal health.

i Would love to be able to get back to being active and healthy but right now im unsure of if the tightness and pain in my foot and stiffness is down to inactivity and hamstrings being tight or if the bulge just hasnt healed enough.

I thought with posting the actual report given to me about the scan maybe someone would be able to compare and tell me how severe it sounds? There is definitely a vast improvement from my original scan years ago but after years of this doing i really want to make an effort to move in the right direction and ive tried the inactivity route being safe and doing less than ever but i really dont think thats going to get me back to normal, plus im going a bit insane not being able to do stuff that should be easy.

anyways heres the report:

Clinical indication: L5-S1 disc rupture 3 years ago. 3 years history severe pain.

The spine is held rather straight presumably due to pain and spasm. There is loss of disc height and hydration

signal with a posterior disc bulge and annular tear at L5-S1 with endplate reactive changes noted. A minimal

posterior disc bulge is also noted at L1 -2 . the other discs are normal. No suspicious bone lesion or fracture or

collapse is identified .

the sacrum is normal in appearance. The aorta is of normal dimensions.

At L1-2 there is a minimal posterior disc bulge just indenting the thecal sac. No compression.

At L4-5 there is minor facet joint hypertrophy with no significant compression or stenosis.

At L5-S1 there is a minor posterior broad-based disc bulge with a minor to moderate right paracentral and far lateral

protrusion which causes thickening and minimal compression of the right S1 nerve root. Facet joint hypertrophy

noted. There is narrowing of the right exit foramen and the disc is close to but not compressing the right exiting L5

nerve root.

No other abnormality identified.

conclusion: There is a degenerative disc at L5-S1 with a right sided protrusion causing compression of the right S1

nerve root. No central canal stenosis or cord compression.

any help would be really appreciated

thanks,

Lee

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.