Herniated Discs and terrible pain in arms and legs

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everybody,

I just came across this website and wanted to share my current situation to see if somebody had this in the past, or imagine a possible cure.

I`m 36 years old male.

I have herniated disc in L4 and L5.

and lately i have a lot of pain in my lumbar area and the pain goes to the upper arms and upper legs a feeling like it is inside burning and tickling. Because of this condition i have been for more than weeks only sleeping a couple of hours in the night.

I take Tilidin and Naproxen 2 pills of each one, mornings and evenings.

Thank you in advance for your response.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

have you thought about having the herniated discs repaired. unfortunately in my experience once the disc is herniated the jelly like substance is leaking from the disc and pressing on the nerves it cannot heal on it's own. check out the many techniques discs are repaired .

a less invasive treatment i had Chemonucleolysis a injection that dissolves the tissue pushing on he nerve.

• Edited

You are not alone and this condition affects hundreds of thousands of people.

Also, at your age your vertebrae are probably healthy and you can have them pinned or fused. This operation would cause up to a years discomfort but at least it will take the pressure off your spinal nerve which is being pinched by the hernia.

I have three degenerative discs and two herniated. Due to the condition of my discs it is not operable. The neuro surgeon said I should be on pain management which would include pain killers etc but as I know what these do to the liver, I choose not to take the. The body also gets used to them and after a period of time they become ineffective. I am now 74 and have had this condition for over 15 years. You can actually accept the pain and after a year or two, your brain shuts the pain out. I live in constant pain but now it is just background noise and I get on with my life. On the odd day when it is almost unbearable I take a couple of codeine tablets and the pain is then manageable. This way, my liver stays healthy instead of becoming clogged with chemicals from the pain killers.

Read up all you can on vertebrae pinning and grafting. There is a ton of information on the internet about this. See a neuro surgeon and get an MRI scan which will show all of your bones and muscles in full detail allowing the neuro surgeon to offer the best advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.