Hey guys I'm terrified something may happen if I stop my anticoagulants after 6 years?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys

I I hope you are well.

it seems to be me who keeps asking some other questions with regards to my anticoagulants. but just today and yesterday I have got the notion to stop taking them due to the awful side effects previously explained.

however due to this possibility I have became terrified that if I do that something very seriously happened despite the benefits of not taking it.

I I had my DVT and pulmonary embolism 6 years ago during which the doctor's didn't really investigate it so just said it was unprovoked. but since I have been taking them they are just hell to live with to the point where I have given up on.

I'm so scared what should I do?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've seen your posts before and I keep coming back to--find a second opinion. Find another doctor, even if it means driving across county, state, geographic region to a new place. Find another doctor who can look at your situation with new and objective eyes, evaluate the evidence, and let you know if your treatment protocol is appropriate. Given that it's your own life you're taking into your hands, do not stop taking potentially life-saving medication without consulting a physician you trust.

I understand the downsides of being on long-term anticoagulation, trust me. I've gained over 50lbs. My joints are constantly sore. I can't ride bike or motorcycle anymore. My children are disappointed in how little Mommy can participate in their activities, but when I consider the alternative, my mind is made. That said, I talked to my hematologist and found a better option for me--still anticoagulation but something with less side effects.

Go to your insurance website and search for hematologists in a 100mi radius. No one? Try 200mi. And please, for the sake of your loved ones, do not stop taking any medication based on the opinions of folks in an online chat.

• Posted

hey thanks for your reply, at least u understand. can i ask what u r taking which has less side effects?

• Posted

Routine is good but it also causes body reliability. What i mean is when the body gets used to the implementation of the drug, its really hard to come off the drug. Take your time, and slowly reduce intake with doctors advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.