hi i went in for my hip replacement thismorning.

Posted , 8 users are following.

only to find out i have a urine infection so was told i could not have it done.in one way i was actually relieved cos i was so scared but ive been in pain for a long time so it would have been nice to have got it over and done with.has anyone else had this happen to them?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

This is Marilyn, unfortunate about the urine infection, please don't let it put you off the op, it hasn't happened to me, have they said when they will do the op again
    • Posted

hi marilyn it hasnt put me off.im hoping it wont be to long before i get another go.i didnt realise the new hip can get infected from this.if it does you have to get it taken out and left out for four weeks to get rid of infection!!although he gave me the choice because its just a risk i was not prepared to take it!!however im still scared of having this done.i wanted to be awake but i think ill go for knockout!!!
    • Posted

Hope you don't have to wait too long.I am due to have mine done on Tuesday having final blood tests today. I am not worried yet don't think I can be in much more pain than I am now. Apparently you are open to any infections it's hard this time of year keeping away from anyone who has a cold. Good luck and let us know when you get your new date x

• Posted

My eldest son had to stay away from the hospital when I was in last time as he had a nasty cold - It is so important to stay healthy for recovery, and eat healthily too.

The OA pain disappeared right away, and was replaced with other pains, which are annoying, but do subside, and fade away. It's a BIG operation, but you will recover from it.  Without the operation you would have a lifetime of horrendous pain. - I know which I prefer, and would willingly go through it all again if I ever have problems with the other hip.

Graham

• Posted

Yes and it is very stressful. My operation was cancelled within minutes of being wheeled down (steroid injection) so I know how it feels. I was relieved for all of ten minutes too, and then on the way home thought it wasn't so great as I would need to come back, and rearrange my whole life again, not to mention the mental stress of preparing.....anyway second op went ahead and all good now. I hope you will soon get your new date and drink lots of cranberry in the meantime.x
  • Posted

I got told the night before my addmitance for 1st hip l had traces of mrsa in my throat. I was delayed 2 weeks while l was treated for it. Then my next time almost got delayed because of platlets in blood but thankfully it went ahead. I cried the 1st time as l had myself mentally prepared x
  • Posted

I'm in next Friday for number two and am almost avoiding my phone and emails in case I am cancelled. Our local hospitals here in Cornwall are all on black alert which means there's no beds. I am praying that orthapaedics isn't affected.

Poor you, Sandra, I really hope you get another date soon - the results are amazing when you have been in pain for so long.

• Posted

Hi Sandra, 

I am so sorry to hear this ... I was hoping that my surgery would be cancelled, I was that scared .... Of course it was not !

I had some infection in my mouth (teeth -) and had to wait until infection was gone -

However ..... I had UTI first day I got home --- 

I can honestly tell you that it is much better to have it now than post-op ... lKeep hydreated and like Rose advices, drink cranberry juice !!!

Feel better and please let us know when you have your date .. we all here would like to send you our good wishes and thoughts....

Oh, and an official warm welcome to our forum ....

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

oh thats sooo kind renee.i will defo keep a progress report on here.prob bore you all to death with it!!lol big hug backsmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.