Hidradenitis Suppurativa also linked to arthritis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, my name is Christina. I have had this condition for over 20 years, and like most others afflicted, it affects me everyday of my life. I have had a significant amount of joint pain since my mid 20's and it has become much worse. Lower back pain and a lot of popping in my lower spine. My hips feel very stiff after a short amount of time being idle, or at rest. My elbows also hurt. I was reading online that this arthritis can be linked or associated with hidradenitis suppurativa. Has anyone been diagnosed with arthritis linked to this skin condition??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I started suffering the same last year and have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia as a result. I also know someone else who has both HS and fibromyalgia so there could be a link between those x
    • Posted

Thanks for the information, Nikki. I'm trying to make sense of it all. May I ask if you have any Gastro intestinal issues too? I also read that over 50% of HS sufferers also have Crohn's Disease and IBS. I also was diagnosed with Diverticulosis throughout my entire large intestine when I was 28. Did your Dr. think there was any link to HS and Fibromyalgia?
    • Posted

I do have gastro issues and have been tested for everything (crohns, lactose intolerance etc) but they settled on IBS. However abdominal problems are a factor of fibromyalgia too. The only link my gp has made is that they are all classed as or related to autoimmune disorders x
    • Posted

So interesting....I'm thinking it's time to check food allergies. It seems to have put several people in remission. Thank you, Nikki.
  • Posted

I have hip and pelvis problems, back pain predominates now.  I've had 3 DVT's and am just dicovering May Thurners Syndrome.  I'm waiting for diagnosis from vascular consultant.  The pain from MTS plus HS is crushing at times.
    • Posted

Thanks for your response Alison. I'm so sorry to hear about your MTS along with HS. I am also learning that it is believed, but not recognized that HS is an autoimmune disorder...hence changing our diets may put HS sufferers in remission. There needs to be more research.
  • Posted

HS, chrones, RA, fibromyalgia and such are all autoimmune diseases. Cutting nightshades, nuts and coconut put my HS in remission after 10 years. Google "food sensitivities and Autoimmune diseases" for lots of interesting info!
    • Posted

Wow smile Thank you so much. I've been reading about this and it all sounds so familiar. I am going to start this process very soon! I am hopeful I will feel good again someday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.