high bp after wake from sleep

Posted , 5 users are following.

is it normal for blood pressure readings to be high when taken first thing in the morning?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes and according to my doctor again in late afternoon.

I stopped taking mine first thing a wait a couple of hours and get more or less normal readings,...sometimes.

• Posted

Yes, I have just completed a week's home monitoring requested by the GP. I was surprised to find that my highest readings of the day, were in the morning, consistently.

• Posted

I can get a reading as high as 210/110 first thing in the morning and as low as 104/68 at night,
    • Posted

I'm not a doc, but that strikes me as kinda high in the AM, and then quite low at night. 

What meds do you take, and when do you take them?

• Posted

They tell me it is the average that counts but I don't believe that.

My last 24 hour monitor averaged 137/84

• Posted

I've also been surfing the net to find out more...... Google 'morning blood pressure surge' for good and not so good news

• Posted

My BP has always been around 150-100 and I do experience faster heartbeats in the morning. Though my BP remains contant throughout the day.
    • Posted

Everyones BP should vary quite a bit during the day due to response to exertions, stress etc. Have you ever had a 24 hour BP monitor ? Doctor at our practice had one of the young healthy nurses wear one to prove the point to her.

Your heart is like an engine and your BP its presure and responds to its power requirements.   

• Posted

Hi Derek, no I haven't. Yesterday my doc said we would do it after I got checked at the emergency. And the emergency doctor said it may be a good idea and also a secondary hypertension test. But when I saw my doctor today I showed her my results from today which I took a reading every 2 hrs or so and she said that was good. Changed the meds and I go for a blood test in a month and then go see her. If there's any issues then she said we will look at those options.

• Posted

No derek76, I am yet to take that test. I guess that's what I need to understand what exactly is going wrong.

• Posted

Ask for a copy of the hourly print out if you get it done as they tend to just tell you the average.

I think that if a person suffers from White Coat Hypertension that the 24 monitor is also stressful as you are always waiting for it to start off. If you waken in the night you wonder if it was the device taking a reading that woke you. Often it takes a few attempts to get a reading if you move or have an irregular heart rate or a higher reading than it expected.

• Posted

I have hbp and in this morning for example at 730 am it was 140/97.

At 930 am it was 160/100. 174/ ? at the docs today at 145 pm lol- "white coat syndrome"

and right now its 10 pm and its 144/93 which is my average resting bp.

I was on amlodipine 10mgs until yesterday morning but now im freelance and on nothing after a terrible time with amlodipine. These are the same readings Ive had the last year on amlodopine but now Im not on it...?... but I have a new sack of coversyl hd which I will be starting tomorrow. wish me luck and I wish you all the best!  Im shooting for low 120s or even 110s over 80 with minimal to no side effects! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.