High BP and dizziness..

Posted , 3 users are following.

65/female.  I was admitted to hospital 11 days ago w/ BP of 225/125.  Immediately given a BP med drip.  Released the following day with Lisinopril 20 mg x 2 per day & Amlodipine Besylate 5 mg x 2 per day.  I remain dizzy, mostly when standing & walking.  No headache, no cough, a little "full" feeling in head from time to time.  Most comfort is lying down although dizziness subsides also when I sit.  BP today is 147/89.  Doc scheduled carotid ultrasound for tomorrow.  I just want the dizziness to stop!  Doc gave me some Meclizine but did nothing to help.  I have slight nausea only when standing .. for any period of time.  My bed has become my sanctuary.  Anyone have any input on this ongoing dizziness? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Both drugs have dizzines as a side effect, read the leaflet with the drugs. Usually as your sytem gets used to them it iproves.
    • Posted

Sorry 'System and improves' Did not have my glasses on!
    • Posted

Primitive website, it does not allow editing or have auto correction.  I always proof read before posting.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear this.  225/125 is considered a hypertensive crisis although some people don't have symptoms from it.  Your doctor reacted properly to get it under control.  Now comes the time for research on how to treat it more naturally.  Because those drugs decrease the pressure so much, you will likely feel symptoms until your body adjusts to the lower pressure.

My mother had similarly high numbers.  She took meds for years with little results.  My sister who is a 'health nut' got her on eggplant juice.  She makes it by peeling the skin and dicing the eggplant and boiling it for about 20 minutes in a quart of water.  Then straining the liquid and drinking 8oz twice a day.  That did the trick.  The last time we checked her  BP was 130/80.  Her doctor is shocked.

Perjaps you can give it a try.  But, you should also keep searching for the cause with your doctor.  Regards, Jonathan

This drug may rarely cause serious (possibly fatal) liver problems. Tell your doctor right away if you notice any of the following rare but serious side effects: yellowing eyes/skin, dark urine, severe stomach/abdominal pain, persistent nausea/vomiting.

A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

• Posted

Sorry, I accidently included some of the side effects of lisinopril.  Here is a full list.

You should check with your doctor immediately if any of these side effects occur when taking lisinopril:

More common:

Blurred vision

cloudy urine

confusion

decrease in urine output or decrease in urine-concentrating ability

dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position

sweating

unusual:

tiredness or weaknessLess commonAbdominal or stomach pain

body aches or pain

chest pain

chills

common cold

cough

diarrhea

difficulty breathing

ear congestion

fever

headache

loss of voice

nasal congestion

nausea

runny nose

sneezing

sore throat

vomiting

Rare:

Arm, back, or jaw pain

chest discomfort, tightness, or heaviness

fast or irregular heartbeat

general feeling of discomfort or illness

joint pain

loss of appetite

muscle aches and pains

shivering

trouble sleeping

• Posted

When I started Lisinopril 2.5mg my lips tingled and my face flushed. That settled and the dosage was increased causing tingling lips, tongue and flushing. Then a a large blister like thing appeared on the back of my throat so I stopped it. When I later told a junior hospital doctor  about it she became very exited saying that she wished that she had seen it as it is a classic reaction!

Everyone of the 'prils' caused me a problem. Enalapril brought me out in an all over rash.  

• Posted

I have seen doctors treat the side effects with more meds.  Pretty soon a person is taking 4 or 5 meds. 

I wish they would stop approving the bad drugs with many side effects.

I also believe the doses are too high.

• Posted

Thanks so much everyone for giving me this important and timely feedback and input.  I did have a loss of appetite and lethargy.  Both seem to be much better today.  BP today is 147/91.  Seems to be staying very near those numbers, however, yesterday it was 125/86.  ??  Tomorrow is my carotid ultrasound.  I left a message today for my doctor regarding this ongoing dizziness.  Oh, and I did see where dizziness is a symptom of both meds I am currently taking.  Grrrrr.  I am a half glass full person and I do believe I will get all this sorted soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.