High GAD & severe panic attacks ; meds

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had emotional problems since I was 11. Now 37, and have many diagnoses. The two I listed only a fraction.

I have recently moved and am having a terrible time. Ptsd has really got me. From a traumatic experience. Anyway I am on effexor, and used to be on klozepam/klonopin 1mg 3x daily... I had my first appointment today and this woman did not listen to me when I told her what has worked in the past. I've been through a lot of medication through the years and finally found a winning formula. By trial and error. She said they don't prescribe Benzodiazapines. She has me trying depakote instead. It's giving me migraines, literally. I've been off the klonopin for roughly 10 months, thinking I was OK and didn't need them anymore. The effexor only helps my depression. I've tried higher dose and had side effects. So not wanting to do that again. Tried buspar, vistaril, and a handful of other anti depressants.

Should I find another doctor? Need help from peers.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

P's...

It's landed me in the er, and even they gave me enough to get me through till my appointment. My bp was 160/105,heart palps, did ekg, said it was some sort of cardiac cough. When they hit me with ativan in the hip it calmed right down. It's really bad and I don't know what to do for relief.

• Posted

Maybe you should find another doctor. This one doesnt seem to be that concerned about what works for you. If a benzodiazepine is your winning formula, you should stick to klonopin but ONLY if it works well for you. I tried visatril one time, and it cured my anxiety but i got high and dopey from it sad even when i took a low dosage.. That stuff is strong! So is klonopin for me which is why i dont take it often.. I take .5 mg.

• Posted

Yes, it's the only thing I've found that makes me comfortable in my own skin. My insides shake when I'm having an attack. And like i said, my bp goes up. Can't hardly breathe, feels like some one is sitting on my chest. Plus stabbing pains. Like my heart is being squeezed really hard. I get sweaty and dizzy in the end. It's uncontrollable. Comes out of nowhere sometimes and sometimes it's because I'm angry. I'm worried it's going to cause a heart attack at some point. This stress just can't be good for me. So sick of this.

• Posted

Hello, I woud find another Dr for sure. In the US a Dr cannot prescribe certain Meds,

so you see a Psychatrist and they prescribe Benzodiazapines with no problems.

As long as you don't over use Benzodiazapines, they work magic as you know. Good luck. 

• Posted

Absolutely! The only thing I found that helps with my panic attacks and anxiety. Effexor only helps my depression. This doctor didn't say I don't need them, just they don't prescribe them. I guess they do drug and alcohol abuse treatment there as well, so they have that mind set that no one belongs on benzo. I don't have a drug problem. Don't abuse my meds. Hell they can call me in for pill counts if they want.

So irritated.

• Posted

I take Effexor also, the best Antidepressant I have ever taken. Are you from the US or from the UK? In the US Drs these days are limited by what they can prescribe, only a Psych can get you the Benzodiazapines. My new Psych is pretty cool, I changed insurance so I had to find a new one and I took my Med bottles with me and said here you go Doc, this is what I am taking, he was impressed and said OK , how much Xanax are you really taking? I said 1mg once or twice a day, no more and I have been doing this for 6  years. They are more conscious and being a new client he was just testing me and said great, we don't need to change that Med then! Bro go and see another Dr/Psych that we give you what has worked for you, don't push the klozepam/klonopin like I NEED THIS DAMNIT, just tell them your depression and Anxiety has come back and I use to take/or take Effexor for depression and I took klozepam/klonopin 1mg 3x daily. They should no problem giving you what is going to get you back on track, for Gods Sake these guys make 250K a year and they are there to  help us, plus 1mg x3 klonopin is nothing like my 1mg Xanan, low dose you know! 

Good luck, check back! I have a personal question for you so I will PM you tomorrow or if you reply back tonight I'll be arond, see you soon.

Joe

• Posted

BTW, I am on disability for my conditions. See what i mean, can't get my thoughts out right either.

• Posted

BTW I called you Bro in my last post, sorry about that LOL,!!!!
    • Posted

Haha that's OK, easily done with a name that could be either or. I am in wv. But the doc i am going to switch to is in Oh. Seeing NP for med eval Tues. I didn't get a winks sleep last night. Having a really hard time.

• Posted

My rheumatoid arthritis pain has let me not sleep a wink tonight. Laying here coming out of a panic attack. I can't take this anymore!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.