High Psa questions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all,

Haven't been to this forum I'm awhile, I am gonna try to make this as short as possible.

PSA started going up in 2018 to the 4's range, I had a biopsy and out of the 12 cores they took they found an extremely small amount in 1 core.

They continued PSA checks every 4 months and it ranged between 4 to 6. They repeated a biopsy in 2019 and they didn't find any in any of the cores they got. We then said we would do Active Surveillance.

Between 2019 and 2021 PSA was still reading up and down between 4s and 6s range everything was good until Oct of this year. Got my PSA checked because I was starting with a new urologist and it was 10.6 they tested it again in Nov and it had jumped to 13.6. I had an Prostate MRI and they said that from the MRI they really see no reason for my PSA to have jumped. The MRI showed a lesion 1 pi-rad 2 which I was informed was very low.

I was diagnosed with Prostatitis years ago and lately I have been feeling very uncomfortable in the taint/perineum and testicle area but according to my urologist prostatitis should not have made a spike like that from 6's range to 10.6 to 13.6 in a months time. So my next step is another biopsy.

I guess I am wondering if anyone has had very high PSA but it wasn't cancer or could have been something else that made it spike.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

i had PSA last December at 3.1, PSA in June was 12.0. Had MRI which showed Pirads 4, so template prostate biopsy, no

cancer found. PSA last week was 3.14.

• Posted

@Twiglet21,

Did they ever find out what caused your PSA to spike?

• Posted

No, i had the biopsy, got copies on a letter from the surgeon to my GP and never heard from the hospital after that. There was no follow up. i just scheduled another 6-monthly PSA test with my GP..

• Posted

Wow, yeah. I was worried when my PSA went to 10.6 then 13.6 but after the MRI I felt better when they said that lesion 1 Pi-Rad 2 was low.

But when I asked if it was my prostatitis or something else making my PSA spike and they said they didn't know I got a little uneasy but them they said we can either go and treat for cancer or take a biopsy. I mean they already have the MRI so they should know the areas to target for the biopsy.

• Posted

Prostatitis can cause PSA to spike. They can check urine for infection but probably also need to check semen.

• Posted

Three things come to mind:

1. Were you given antibiotics? If so, then the PSA would FALL if you responded to the antibiotics.
    2. A result lower than PIRADS 3 is NOT a concern for cancer. I had PIRADS 4.
    3. Were your PSA tests conducted at the same lab?
    • Posted

Hi,

with a history of psa 2,8 mri pirads 4 and fusion biopsy result negative but ASAP findings

I just had probably an acute prostatitis in December was in hospital for few days getting antibiotics then continued for a month. during the 3rd week taking the antibiotics had a blood test psa came back 6.7

had a blood test again after one month finishing antibiotics 11,6 ... any thoughts?

thanks

J

• Posted

Ideally your PSA is checked by the same lab every time.

Once you are clear of infection ie the antibiotics are shown to have worked, then any rise in PSA is to be investigated.

Is the radiologist who diagnosed PIRADS 4 an expert in prostate image reading?

• Posted

I'm not sure if the infection cleared completely, and how to find out for sure,

today i had an other blood and urine test, with my GP

I haven't seen by an urologist in the hospital since there was no urology

my next appointment is 1. of April...

I have no idea about the radiologists, i had 3 different mri in different places last 3 years all with the same pirads 4 result so i would say its accurate there is a 7-8 mm suspicious nodule...

• Posted

Do your best to find a radiologist that reads prostate images on a very regular basis. This is because, say in your case, a nodule may be "suspicious" to some radiologists but possibly not "suspicious" to an expert radiologist who has seen nodules like yours many times already, so can distinguish between "suspicious" and "nothing to worry about".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.