hightened anxiety almost after 2 months on 20m

Posted , 5 users are following.

It is almost 2 months on 20 m citalopram. Very very little improvement but today as if i am back to high anxiety again. Very agitated and shaky. Is this normal? I am so worried if i dont get better....

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ferim, I have finished 9 weeks on 20mg. I was doing ok until 2 weeks ago when my anxiety seemed to become as bad as it was before I started on 10 mg 8 months ago. I wish this feeling would go away, but we have to ride it out. I believe it is not uncommon to have these days and weeks while getting better on this med. Good luck, and lets hope we start feeling the tabs working soon. Lee.
  • Posted

I am having the same problem but with a different med, paroxetine. Been on it just over 2 months and was very slowey improving but this last week I feel like I'm right back at square one! I hope this is just normal as we have to adjust to the medicine?!
    • Posted

Right back to square one is such a frustrating feeling Sophie. Starting week 10 of 20mg Citalopram and feeling much the same. I am also hoping this is the beginning stage and things will settle again. it would appear that most of these meds have similar side effects, so I am just sticking with it and hoping to feel better soon. I hope you do too. Lee.
    • Posted

I hope so too Lee! I was originally put on 20mg when I was pregnant with my daughter who is now 18 months old. I had no side effects what so ever and was very happy until 5 months ago when my doctor thought it was time to come off them and td me to miss a day, then have half, then miss a day etc. This was the WRONG way to do it and ive found out the hard way, ended up on hospital! Been on a higher dose of 30mg for almost 10 weeks now, every other day is worse and the days in between aren't great but at least I'm not crying. It's very hard when I'm a single mum to a young child. I've read that it can take up to 6 months to feel the full benefit. I try not to read too many forums now and go for the medical sites and associations instead.
    • Posted

It's normal.  You'll feel as though you're going backwards and forwards many, many times.  It's frustrating but seems the normal route recovery takes.

K x

• Posted

Thats good to know! I guess we have to just ride it out but it is so bloody tough! Can I ask what you are/were on and how long it took? X
    • Posted

I first started on Citalopram 20mg many years ago and went through that same tough journey - it probably took around 3-4 months before I started noticing improvement, and was really well by 6 months.  I had that same 'forward 2 steps-back 3 steps' all the way.  Completely recovered from there on.  Came off it over 2 years ago but restarted 18 months due to family illness and it took longer second time around (probably about 8 months).  Have recovered again and have since reduced it to 5mg for maintenance.

Yes it's a tough route, but the end result is worth the wait xxx

Sorry that you had a rough time coming off them.  How long did your doctor tell you to reduce them - how long did it take?  You have to reduce them very, very slowly or, as you found, you can be very ill.  When I reduced my meds I did it by 5mg a day over about 6 months.

K x

• Posted

Thanks kate! Such a heart-warming reply as always.👍
  • Posted

This could be what people call a blip. Just see if you can ride it out. It also might mean you need to up dose which is what happened to me. I was in 20mg for about 2 months. Started feeling good for a while and then it went down hill!

Doctor upped my dose to 30mg and told me it could take up to six weeks to start feeling better. My second week ai started to feel better. Now into third week and still feeling pretty good.

Please don't updose on your own, talk with your doctor. And if this med doesn't work there are others.

Also ask about this new Swab Test. I have been posting about it on some of the forums. I don't know if it works or not. Here is what I have wrote about it:

Just wanted to pass some info along. My nieces son is going through bad depression. She took him to a doctor and the first thing the doctor did after talking with him is Swabbed the inside of his cheek to test to see what ssri would work the best with his receptors. This is in Pennsylvania.

I don't know if it's nonsense or not but thought it worth passing along.

God bless!!!

• Posted

Thsnks for ur comnent Robert. I hope that is part of recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.