Hip drop

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a polio survivor which primarily affected my left leg and hip. Muscle wasting and atrophy is extensive in the affected area. I am 66 years old and contracted the disease at 3. I am currently experiencing hip pain probably from overuse, but I have had this condition when I was in my 20s from overuse. I use a long leg brace and I modified it by inserting an strong plastic arm/wrist support from another procedure at the top of the brace on my left hip. The result was that when I walked it seemed like I was sitting when my weight shifted with each step. In other words the hip drop and corresponding tendon stress was avoided. Has anyone ever used a long leg brace that prevents the hip from dropping. The plastic I used eventually broke from the stress but it was never attached and affected nothing else. Before I try another similar modification I would like to ask if anyone else has a bracing solution for the hip drop common in polios. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What is hip drop, Michael?   I have something they seem to call a "locked hip" and I have chiropractic and massage therapy to get it "unlocked" but it does keep happening again!    Thanks.

• Posted

People with a lesion of superior gluteal nerve have weakness of abducting the thigh at the hip. This type of gait may also be seen in L5 radiculopathy and after poliomyelitis, but is then usually seen in combination with foot drop. During the stance phase, the weakened abductor muscles allow the pelvis to tilt down on the ...

from Wikipedia. I think this is a better description than I could give. 

• Posted

Hello Michael,

I do not have this problem - yet.....  My left left and back are affected, and at 73 I am really struggling to walk at all.  I do not like getting older.

I now take Pregabalin, a nerve blocker and after many years of many painkillers at last my awful pains have gone!!  Long may it last.

Good luck to all my fellow polios.

Marion x

• Posted

Hi Michael,

You describe exactly my symptoms, except it is my right leg and hip. I am 68 and up to 3 weeks ago I was getting locked hip needing osteopathic treatment, but now I would say I am getting hip drop as I am unable to transfer weight on the affected leg. Strangely I have been trying this morning to get a orthotic review from the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital in Birmingham and your comment on leg brace was interesting. I had polio in the summer of 1950 and the PPS effect started 6 years ago with my right foot dropping. When I was 60 I carried golf clubs around the Belfry but now struggled to get across the room! I am just startingpregablin treatment.

I think we need an Albert Einstein in bio chemistry to show how to rejuvenate motor neurons.

Best Wishes 

Robert

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.