Hip fracture & foot drop! I don't know where to begin...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm not sure where to start or why I'm even posting. It would be nice to hear from someone who has been through the same thing.

About 8 months ago I was walking to work when I was hit by a drunk driver. To cut a very long story short I broke my right hip, my right leg in numerous places and my right ankle. I'm doing pretty well now 8 months on. I walk with one crutch.

The complicated thing is I have foot drop due to the impact damaging my sciatic nerve. I cant dorsiflex my right foot at all. It's mostly numb. I have more feeling now definitely but I've had nerve conduction tests done and time will tell! As a result of that my right thigh has no strength at all because the muscle and nerve were so badly damaged. Hence why I'm still on a crutch. I can walk without but I limp and its sore. Other than that I am pain free. I'm not on any med anymore. I do physio exercises most days and use a tens machine.

I guess I'm just looking for anyone out there who has the same issue. Some days I feel like I will never get off this damn crutch and as I'm only 32 it's not a future I had envisaged. I'd love to hear from other people who have had a crutch and maybe took time to get back to normal. I am determined to get back to normal, even if it's not the normal I was used to. I know I'll probably never run again but I can do almost everything else, just a little slower!

4 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi hipster

This is roten for you and I can sympathise totally.

As to the foot drop I think you need to keep badgering the consultant and physio to get treatment sooner rather than later.

The crutch is a necessary evil. You just need to put up with it until you are walking straight and tall again. The limp gets into your way of thinking if you try to give up the cructch too soon.

The worse part is thinking about how many years are ahead of you. I went through this with my hip replacement but now I am recovering finally it is easing off.

The depression plays a huge part in the whole thing so maybe that needs addressing too.

Best wishes,

shirley

• Posted

dear hipster, 

I Just want to say "hi" ...

wow ... I understand your frustration about "still" needing one crutch after 8 months - I am sure you have been working hard on getting fit and better after such a major accident - and like you are saying: you are really doing well - it could have been so much worse, right ?

I wish I had the right words to encourage you and make you feel better - 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

If your foot drop is like my foot drop (caused by herniated disc pressing on the nerve that radiates down to the toe) it may lessen , but may not go away. It's 8 years since my injury and I still have foot drop - on the non-operated side. Fortunately I don't have pain with it. By the time I was seen by a surgeon, there was only a 50/50 chance that there would be improvement, so I decided not to go ahead with back surgery.

I also have the complicating factor of having CIPN (Chemotherapy Induced Peripheral Neuropathy) involving numbneess and tingling in my toes and soles of my feet.

All-in-all a perfect storm  - hip, foot drop and CINP. Got to keep smiling.........

I do hope you'll be off the crutch soon. It must be extemely frustrating. Sorry I can't be of help there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.