Hip Fracture Returns

Posted , 2 users are following.

I broke my left hip 7 weeks ago due to falling down 8 flagstone steps. The pain was utterly excruciating. (I'm 65.) I had surgery the next day and miraculously, the pain vanished. However, on Monday l felt a strange pop in my thigh while decorating the Christmas tree and immediately, the same excruciating pain returned. Hubby carried me to car (I was screaming with pain), and took me to the ortho. The xrays showed a hairline fracture. (I suppose I had been overdoing it and the fracture came apart.) I asked if I could have surgery again to repair it, recalling that the surgery had made the pain vanish, but my doc said no. The hardware is already solidly in place, so essentially it's already been fixed. He said the only things that can help me now are pain meds and time. Ouch😒 I am living with a broken hip. Nobody should have to endure this much pain. Has anyone else suffered this? Any advice?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Time. No one else can help with that. You've been x-rayed and everything is in the right place. Eat well, treat yourself with kindness. Maybe add some Vitamin K2 (not K1) to the calcium and Vitamin D I assume you already take? Follow orders. If you were told to keep off the leg, keep off it. If you were told you need moderate exercise, take moderate exercise. If you were told you should for the time being only bend the leg a certain amount, be careful not to exceed that. I have no idea what instructions you were given, but it's best to follow them and, like I said, treat yourself with kindness. Imagine that bone knitting together again over the next few weeks. Patience. The miracle of healing. Good luck!

• Posted

please how do i join this group? i would like some help?

• Posted

The Patient forum is mostly inactive now, the result of some poorly thought out technical changes. If you try HealthUnlocked you should find it more active and get some advice. If you are in the UK you can contact the Royal Osteoporosis Society. If in another country there is probably an equivalent organization.

Look up HealthUnlocked, and you should be able to search for the Bone Health community.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.