Hip Metalwork removal

Posted , 2 users are following.

i broke my Neck of femur in January 2020 but have been in pain all these years. I was disabled with mobility problems but managed everyday life. Im now left unable to do hardly anything. My walking with a rollator is awful, I cant dress myself or even managed a disabled toilet as i cant get off low things. I cant transfer from my wheelchair anymore. Orthopedic surgeon always ignored my pain and lack of mobilty. Anyway i saw a different consultant who has recommended removal of the Rod and screws. The rod goes from hip to knee. Im scared of having everything removed as i have osteoporosis and fall easily. My husband is my full time carer and knows how to help me. Staying in hospital i wont be able to manage at all but my husband isnt allowed to stay with me. Also as there are so many complications with removal especially weak bone due to holes in them im scared. Please has anyone had there Rod and screws removed and how did it go did the pain ease and what was recovery like. im desperate as just dont no what to do.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

my heart goes out to you. i hear your struggles and understand how and why your feeling scared. i would too. osteo has compromised any surgery available to improve yoir life style . stay busy and ask if it;s possible for someone to come in and help . your DH is a always supportive. using a wheel chair may be the answer in the long run. check out the many disability assists available to make you more self-sufficient and prevent falls to help assist mobility and improve your life style. check with your doctor for more resources available. sending blessings your way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.