Hip pain....Ortho doesn't have any idea why.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Back in June I started getting some pain in my hip area, started getting worse over a week and a half. I had a hard time lifting my leg to put socks and shoes on, getting up from some seats, also limping at work (work in a warehouse on forklift). The pain was intense and definitely knew it was bone. I fractured the same leg as a kid.

I had an x-ray done, no fracture. My family doc thought it was bursitis and I had 1 PT session. The pain kept getting worse, so I got an appt with an Ortho. I had a stat MRI and that showed AVN vs a insufficiency fracture. I was referred to an Ortho Surgeon for a consult.

They reviewed my MRI and didn't think it was AVN. They were leaning towards transient osteoporosis. I had lab work, a CT scan, & bone scan done. Lab work was normal (except vitamin d was insufficient, I've been on a supplement for 1 year). Bone scan was normal ranges, but my family doc wants me to see an endocrine theyarent sure if it's accurate for a 33 yr old. The CT scan showed Osteopenia and a labral tear.

I went back to my ortho surgeon and he has no idea what is causing this. My femoral head isn't completely round though. I just recently went back to work and am starting to get the pain again.image

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

i had similar with MRI scan showing AVN or subchondral insufficiency fracture. Took MRI to GP who referred me to orthopaedics in 2020. consultant said it was osteoarthritis with inky treatment being total hip replacement but that i was a bit young for one. So waited 1.5 years where it steadily got worse. Had THR this April, problem solved, hip did have AVN.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.