Hip replacement 18 months on

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there

I had a hip replacement about 18 months ago. I was lucky to recover very quickly and was walking unaided in about 7 weeks. 18 months on and I have started to experience a lot of stiffness in my hip joint plus a little pain and have found myseld limping again. Has this happened to anyone else?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

are you still doing your physiotherapy exercises at least twice a week. i had THR 11 months ago and sort of stopped the physio around 6 months and got the same symptoms as you. when i restarted the physio, which i do 3 times a week now, all those problems resolved

• Posted

I had my right hip replacement 16 months ago and I started with stiffness and pain about 4 months ago. I have osteoarthritis and my left hip as well as both knees are causing pain. My surgeon said to get as much mileage as possible before replacements, so I'm pushing thru the pain. Did you get a shoe lift to make sure both legs are even? I had to get one for my left leg. Walking with a limp caused back pain and threw my whole body out of joint - enough to aggravate my arthritis. Hope this helps.

• Posted

hi, i have had both hips done 1 in 2019 and one in 2o21. I still have stiffness and pain shooting down my leg and back pain. had ultrasound recently and found ganglion cyst which is near the femoral never and when it enlarges it sits on nerve causing pain. my consultant not happy I went and got ultrasound but he wasn't giving me answers and made me have mri to which 4 months on still awaiting my results.

nut my consultant said my oa in hips would disappear after hip replacement which it hasn't, why would he say that?

hope you get joy soon with your outcome and please share

• Posted

Hi Vicki - so sorry you're going thru so much pain. Osteoarthritis does not "go away".. Why does it take so long to get the MRI results back? Sounds like you need to find another doctor.

Where are you located? I'm in Florida

Keep me posted.

Jodi

• Posted

hi Jodi

how are you getting on now, any better?

Consultant been in touch and agrees fluid in groin which should not be there, so went for ultrasound last Mon and they put steroid injection in. They said sometimes they need to dig to understand the problem and I have to make a diary for next 6mths. I asked why fluid there and just comes on so quickly and said when it gets inflamed? what inflamed. new joint so why inflammation and why fluid?

again no answers nearer 12mths on.

since Mon bee worst than ever. its like something tightening and i cannot put my leg straight when it happens and its like lifting a lead weight and shooting nerve pains. but I'm waiting yet another at least 6 maths now and still won't have a result. I've asked Dr for 2nd opinion and told to bear with them as best hip hospital in UK

I'm based UK bury area but surgery at wrightingon. It does effect your mental health and feels no one is listening /helping.

• Posted

Hi Vickie,

While you may be with the best hospital in the UK, it might be better if you went to another doctor/hospital to find out why you're having so much difficulty and pain. Do all doctors in the UK procrastinate so much? Can you select another doctor? We have private insurance here and since I'm 78, I am on Medicare which provides good coverage and flexibility in choosing healthcare providers. From what you describe, no one there is listening to you or trying to help. When a patient is in pain, immediate intervention should be the first order. Please keep me posted.

• Posted

Surely it OA goes away after total replacement of the hip.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.