Hip replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi I'm 2 weeks post op Bilateral hip replacement, everything has been going amazing but started to get pain in my lower back I was just wondering if this is normal

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Michelle, if I learned one thing from my hip replacement 12 weeks ago, there isn't a normal, we all progress at different speed and meet obstacles, often the same obstacle , at different times.

However, your back does compensate for the lack of hip muscles, it was /is certainly something that affected me.

Once you can stand on one leg, the operated one but in your case your choice ,you will start to know that the muscles are becoming strong enough to walk 'properly' ie your hips are doing the work, not the back.

• Posted

Sorry, don't try and stand on one leg til your physio says it's ok!!!!
    • Posted

Hi I can stand without my crutches but when I'm walking I feel like I'm not putting weight though my legs yet I put my weight through my crutches
  • Posted

Hi Michelle,  I had both hips done eight weeks apart, the right last October and the left last December.  
  • Posted

Sorry Michelle, not very good with computers !!!!! As I say had both hips done eight weeks apart and after afew weeks of doing my exercises and walking my lower back was really painful,  I am happy to say that  after six or seven weeks it eased right off.  Now with the exercises and being back to work my hips and back feel better than they have done for years.  I think because early in recovery we move differently this affects the lower back.  Keep up with the exercises you've been given, but remember not to overdo things !!!!  Good luck with your recovery  love   Maggie xxxx
  • Posted

Michelle, you are at 2 weeks. Don't expect too much too soon. I had to be to,d several times that it's the 2nd major op after open heart surgery for cutting muscles. It takes time for those muscles to come back. I'm at 13 weeks and thigh, calf, back muscles are starting to build but go steady, take your meds, do the 
    • Posted

exercises and don't expect too much too fast. Your thigh muscles just I don't have the strength yet.
  • Posted

WOW 2 at once, no wonder you're back hurts it's probably working very hard. Your core muscles really take a good workout after this surgery, make sure you try and use your abs to move as well as this will help.

Good luck in your recovery 💌🌈💌🌈

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.