Hip replacement lumpy scar

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi im 8 weeks after hip replacement when im lying on my non operative side i can feel a fairly hard lump under my incision scar cant feel it when im sitting or standing its at the bottom of my scar has anyone else felt this please

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

normal experience it's usually a hematoma which is a bad bruise. It happens when blood collects and pools under the skin. The pooling blood gives the skin a spongy, rubbery, lumpy feel. it will dissolve in on it's own in a few weeks,

• Posted

It's scar tissue and adhesions forming as your body is starting to heal. Nobody told me what to do about this and it was very painful and extended my healing. I found that massaging the area as firmly and as often as possible without undue pain (using massage oil or Vitamin E oil) was the very best solution. Good luck - let me know if it helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.