Holiday to high altitude areas (Cusco, Machu Picchu, Uyuni) & SVT

Posted , 3 users are following.

I get SVT only very occasionally - usually after heavy exercise when (particularly if exerting beyond my fitness) or so at times it may be alcohol related. I’ve been getting fitter during lockdown running 5K every other day, and I haven’t had any episodes for over 2 yrs (except for one small one, when runninglast week, on the day i was planning to confirm my travel itinery!) I love travelling and am planning our postponed honeymoon trip to South America including Cusco (3,399m) Machu Picchu (2,430m) the Uyuni salt flats (3656m) .I’ve suddenly got a little bit worried about SVT risks at altitude. When first diagnosed I did discuss travel with a consultant who said really it was my choice but to take Bisprolol as a pill in the pocket, and that SVT wouldn't be life threatening, but if it didnt stop then eventually I would need medical attention (but It could be days - so plenty of time to do this) Reading around the issue it seems that plenty of time to acclimatise gradually is key so I am planning to stay at various towns on my way up (each one for a couple of nights). I just don’t want to let my anxiety and worry stop me from planning this trip of a lifetime and so just wanted some advice really. Thanks Jim

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jim.

I asked my EP the same question. Of course I got the same answers you.

He did mention that it was very important to keep hydrated on the plane.

Do you know what type of SVT you have?

• Edited

I haven't found altitude itself to be an issue as much as the strenuous exercise it may require to hike up to such a high altitude. Like you, I have also been told that episodes are typically not dangerous unless they go on for days (my episodes have lasted anywhere from a few minutes to several hours). I also now carry a pill in the pocket that is supposed to work within about 30 minutes. As my EP put it - as long as your heart is otherwise healthy - you can compare an SVT episode to running a marathon; a runner's heart will be able to handle beating fast for several hours without causing any damage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.