Home Detox.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Back again to update you all and hear your views and advice.

i went to my GP this week armed with all the info on Nalmefene and asked her to prescribe it to me. Explained that I had been in touch with SMC and the NHS but all this fell on deaf ears. She admitted she was clueless about the medicine and stated that she would need to have a conversation with my Alcohol Support worker. They have since both agreed that it will not be something they are willing to prescribe as the feel I need complete abstinence and doing this gradually is not helpful.

So the idea of dropping two units daily did not go well. Within one week I came full circle. Got down to 10 units and couldn't bear the withdrawal. Stayed at that for a few days before increasing once again. My alcohol worker stated that this was a test, to see if I was able to reduce on my own, which I clearly am not at this present time.

Now I have a home detox booked for two weeks time. Still clueless on who will be my support over the first three days as all my friends have young children and family members aren't real an option due to their locality and jobs. The plan is to start Antabuse after the detox, I'm done telling them how I feel about Antabuse.

Feeling hopeful, excited at the prospect of being alcohol free, whilst very fearful and grieving at the upcoming loss of my best friend and reliant. 

Any tips or advice on how to ensure it goes smoothly and painfully would be helpful.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you asked them about how you are to deal with cravings after the detox?  Antabuse does not help with cravings, as you know.  What long term plan of support are they going to be suggesting for you. 

I would certainly want an answer to this!! 

It is, of course, their perogative not to prescribe nalmefene once they have assessed you for it.  I think their reasoning not based on a medical reason but rather on their own belief that immediate abstinence is the only way, and is a weak reason to say the least, but that is their decision to make. 

They seem to think that giving you something that didn't work before and put you in hospital is the correct way to go this time, too, and I certainly don't understand the reasoning behind that.  It didn't work last time so what makes them think it will work this time?

The reason it didn't work before is likely because you couldn't cope with the cravings to drink.  So that needs addressing or history will repeat itself.   What about Campral for the cravings?  What have they said about why they have chosen Antabuse over that?

I would like to see you here afterwards with news of the success that you are having, and I sincerely hope that you do have long term success this time around, but I would hate to see you on here struggling with cravings and then eventually drinking again because you were not helped to deal with the cravings properly and medically.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice and support. The alcohol service worker states that they do not rate Campral, it has no affect on those who are not drinking whilst taking it. There view is that by taking Antabuse, this will be enough support to know that I can't drink, regardless of me doing so previously whilst on it.
    • Posted

That is nonsense! Campral is designed to control cravings with people who abstain. The problem is that is doesn't work for everybody, but what drug does?

Punitive treatment (which is what Antabuse is, you drink and you will suffer for it, and maybe even worse things can happen) doesn't work because this is a physiological disorder, not a behaviour problem or lifestyle choice.

I despair at the state of alcohol treatment in this country.

• Posted

I've heard some b8llocks in my life time. I love people who say things like that, because straight away, I would say; Can I see your report on that, when was the testing done, how many patients were involved in the test, what was the efficacy, the needed to treat figures and analysis of what type of patient is more likely to succeed or fail using this medication.

Whilst he's flailing like a fish out of water, because he has just been knocked out of his comfort zone, I would press on home; You have done testing and do have a report, please tell me someone in the organisation hasn't just decided that you're not going to offer it, so the standard response is that you don't rate it. I'm really not intersted in whether you rate it, but whether it is effective, and many clinical trials and the NHS say it is, which is why it is licensed in the UK and recommended by the NHS.

Personally, I would ask for their head office details, and get hold of someone senior there and tell them the situation and that you are aghast that someone would prescribe you disulfiram when you've already been hospitalised previously and you have a grave concern that you are not being given good advice, that may see you end up in hospital again.

As for Campral. I just don't know where to start with these people. It works, not for everybody, but it does work. You can start taking it whilst you are detoxing, it will be building up in your system, it takes about five days to fully build up its anti-craving.

It doesn't interact with other medication, it doesn't interact with detox medication, it has virtually zero side effects, there are no side effects if you drink whilst taking it, so if you relapse, keep taking it and just stop drinking.

It isn't a life sentence, people could take it for six months, twelve months, give their body a break and let their system go back to normal. Yes, it is mainly for people to become abstinent, but that is just one way to use it. I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you managed to get it prescribed.

• Posted

Is the alcohol support worker clinically qualified, Vodka07? A nurse or a doctor?
  • Posted

Don't have anything booked or planned for the first two days, allow yourself those to just louhnge around at home. If they prescribe you the right amount, it should be relatively harmless and not unpleasant. If the dosage is too low, you will know about it - been there and done that.

Do not take antabuse, I cannot advise tha thighly enough - weren't you hospitalised when taking it once before, or have I mixed you up with someone else? Even Paul has said that he will turn away clients who insist on antabuse.

If you decide not to take it, do not tell your GP/alcohol support, take the detox, then let them know, because they are likley to withdraw that offer.

Which recovery service are you using?

• Posted

You message is mixed with bad and good news.  I wouldn't take that Antabuse even if it were prescribed to me. Pretend! 

​I'm glad you are feeling well about the home detox plan.  What is going on with your best friend? 

​Is there a way to get another Dr?  Another GP that doesn't have these beliefs in abstinence?

• Posted

Missy2, my best friend and reliant is the vodka!! Might sound silly, but it's like I'm losing the most important thing to me in a way!! Which only confirms why I need to stop drinking!! 
    • Posted

Is that what you meant when you said your best friend was dying? I thought a person friend...sad...I GET it...best friend alcohol...i do get it.
    • Posted

Oh yea...I always said I was losing my best friend...when I was quitting.

​Best friends don't steal our health

​Best friends don't interfere with jobs and family

Best friends don't control our lives

​Best friends don't make us vomit

Best friends don't make us feel hopeless

​BUT...people like us that drink...really do consider the bottle our best friend...seems to be at least consistent in what it does to erase pain. But the other consequences are much worse.

• Posted

Thanks everyone, your thoughts and feelings very much mirror my own. I have previously been prescribed both Antabuse and Campral, and have told them that I found the benefits of Campral far out way the dangers posed by Antabuse. The fact that I have sought help, been dragged through the stigmatisation  that brings, and desperate to stop drinking should be over and above the idea of Antabuse I feel. But I have expressed grave concern that I will have nothing to help with the cravings after the detox. So back again feeling so stuck and hitting head of the wall. I have another appointment next week so need to push for Campral and no Antabuse. I've given up going back to my GP as they check everything through Alcohol Services before agreeing. The alcohol support worker is not a doctor or nurse, not too sure of their background to be honest, but it certainly seems they are the lead in the process.
    • Posted

This is beyond intolerable! Are there any notes from your last time in the hospital that indicate Antabuse is a bad choice for you? 

1.3.6.1After a successful withdrawal for people with moderate and severe alcohol dependence, consider offering acamprosate or oral naltrexone[7] in combination with an individual psychological intervention (cognitive behavioural therapies, behavioural therapies or social network and environment-based therapies) focused specifically on alcohol misuse (see section 1.3.3).

1.3.6.2After a successful withdrawal for people with moderate and severe alcohol dependence, consider offering acamprosate or oral naltrexone[7] in combination with behavioural couples therapy to service users who have a regular partner and whose partner is willing to participate in treatment (see section 1.3.3).

1.3.6.3After a successful withdrawal for people with moderate and severe alcohol dependence, consider offering disulfiram[14] in combination with a psychological intervention to service users who:

have a goal of abstinence but for whom acamprosate and oral naltrexone are not suitable, or

prefer disulfiram and understand the relative risks of taking the drug (see 1.3.6.12).

• Posted

I would be asking the question 'why is a doctor being advised what to prescribe by a person with no clinical qualifications?' I may well ask the doctor that, directly and hope that you can embarrass her into re-considering. I might even say 'it's your registration on the line if something goes wrong, why would you let an unqualified person take that risk with YOUR career?'

But I'm a Mental Health nurse and we have a reputation for giving doctors a hard time smile I know it's not so easy when you are the patient.

• Posted

Good advice ADEfree. My alcohol worker has ALL my notes regarding my previous hospital admissions and alcohol use. I just feel that in order to detox properly I need to be equipped with all the armour possible, I don't just want the shield, I want the sword, body armour and the whole shebang!!!! 
    • Posted

Because the alcohol recovery centre take responsibility and the GP merely prescribes the medication at the request of the alcohol recovery centre, if something goes wrong, the GP is not liable. That has been my understanding from my involvement with these people.

On a separaate note, I got my patient records from Cov today. I couldn't remember this, which in fairness, I did have an acute cerebral haemorrhage with 6mm midline shift at the time, that they tried to get me to register with Addaction when I was in hospital and I said no, they tried to register me with them just beofre I left and I said no. The cheeky feckers then wrote to my GP three months after I left hospital asking him to get me registered with them - he knows better, so he never did ask.

Oh, my GGT on arrival at hospital 1502.

• Posted

I like your attitude, Vodka! I like Paul's too! 

Yeah, it seems like you need some sort of Patient Advocate. 

• Posted

No, that's not true RHGB. The doctor who prescribes the medication takes full responsibility if something goes wrong. 'So and so told me to do it' particularly when so and so is not clinically qualified, would be no defence.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.