Hoping this helps with recurrent cellulitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Between June 2015 and till date, I have had 5 bouths of cellulitis out of which 3 I had to be admitted for incision and drainage, debridement and just this Monday, incision and drainage and biopsy sample cut out. Each incident lasts for 3 months to 6months treatment with my leg having lots of scars and colors. My anti biotics level has increased and now I currently take only IV drugs because there are no tablet versions of the Drugs. I'm 39years old and I weight 93kg even though I don't look it because of my height and heavy bones. Ideally , I should weigh 80kg. I'm also a Nigerian living in Nigeria. I was lucky to have a visiting vascualar surgeon from the UK visiting the hospital I was admitted. After series of test, I was informed I have venous veins which turn into ulcers due to compression. the Ulcers are caused by tiny scratches due to itches that get infected by bacteria on my skin or on my environment. I explained I bath twice daily and don't know where it comes from. Anyways, he explained my veins are working and there are no clots, so no need for another surgery. But he prescribed I wear compression socks as much as possible, loose weight, don't stand or sit too long and exercise regularly. I have also googled the link between varicose veins and cellulitis and there is a link. People who re prone to these are obese, have family history of varicose veins, age etc. I'm yet to be discharged from the hospital though and my biopsy reports to be conclusive but I connected with what the vasucular surgeon said because I often have leg cramps and my legs do itch, I get swollen feet when I sit at my desk too long. I am yet to be discharged from the hospital due to the healing process of the surgery site and my twice thrice daily of the IV injections but I am hopeful that when I have fully recovered and start working out regularly, this will not come back again. Though I'm yet to start, but I'm sharing this now to encourage everyone who is going through a tough time talking this. There is a light at the end of the tunnel so don't give up and you can try out the tips I shared on working out, walking more, at least drop everything to do with refined sugar and let's see if we can beat this thing. Knowledge is power. All the best.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Please forgive my grammatical errors. Thank you
  • Posted

What a horrible time you’ve had and what a lovely, positive post!  Wishing you all the best for a complete recovery.
  • Posted

hi jen good advice hope you win your battle feet up if swelling al so keep legs moist best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.