Hormones? Can't lose weight...eating in a strict calorie deficit. Please help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I am a 19yo female. I have slowly gained weight over the past year (7-8kg in 6 months) whilst being extremely active training for a half ironman triathlon (my garmin says on average I was burning 3000 cals day). I have always been very athletic, had muscular legs etc. and defintely wouldn't attribute my weight gain to muscle. I wasn't tracking calories at the time but have been for the last 3 months or so, and I am pretty certain there was no chance I was eating in excess of this.

For the past 2-3 months I have been strictly counting calories on My Fitness Pal, eating in a deficit of to begin with 500- now 750 cals a day. Portion sizes exactly measured, condiments drinks etc. However during this time my weight has only fluctuated by about 0.5kg up or down.

I eat healthily- I don't eat chocoloate, sweets, crisps, takeaway, fizzy drinks etc.

I am desperate to get this sorted. I know I should be eating more food in a day to sustain myself, but fearful if I do I will gain more weight. I am currently in deficit of 600-750 cals a day and I wake up hungry and have headaches which I know isn't right. I am scared if I eat normally, I will gain more weight. Anymore my BMI will be in the overweight category (BMI currently 24.9).

I think it may be hormone related. I have had bloods done in the past and thyroid function has been normal. However I haven't had a natural period in about 2 years.

I had one Depo shot about 8 months ago. During the 12 weeks I lost weight without really trying to, and had 1 period after the 12 weeks. This is what makes me think it may be linked to hormones.

Other symptoms:

• Very thirsty/dehydrated in the mornings when I wake up (despite in the day probably drinking 3-4L +)
  • Don't feel the cold
  • had a stress fracture in the last six months (marker of bone health/oestrogen levels?)

I am desperate to get this sorted, however I have gone to my GP and she insists there is nothing wrong. Bloods are normal. She told me not having a period is normal as I am very active (I was shocked by this...usually a key sign of overtraining/hormones are off and thought it should be taken more seriously). I expressed my conern and was told to come back when I wanted to have a baby.

If anyone could help recommend what may be causing this/any tests I should run I would be EXTREMELY GRATEFUL?

I am trying to approach the situation with a positive frame of mind but it is very disheartening that I can't seem to lose the weight.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.