Hormonin

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all ... 

I have been on Hormonin since I was 29 and found it brilliant.  When I was 50 my GP suggested I came off it and went through the menopause which she said was normal for women of my age.

Long story short I have had a terrible time and a number of people suggested there was no need to come off it so I discussed it with my GP and he put me back on it.

It has now been discontinued!

I asked for a replacement and he has prescribed something called Elleste Duet which appears to be nothing like!

I had a complete hysterectomy with both ovaries removed and Hormonin has 3 different oestrogens in it whereas thin only has one ... estrodial and norethisterone.

Has anybody had similar problems.

Many Thanks cry xxx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

From what I read norethisterone is a progestogen which normally you do not need if you have had your ovaries removed too, unless you had endometriosis.

Trouble is it seems that things change a bit when we are off hrt for a while (you don't say how long) and when we go back on, we have to try to adjust again.  I have been on oestrodiol in different forms but same full strength for 26+ years and I am not changing that.  However, I had an undiagnosed pituitary gland tumour (prolactinoma) for 6 years which made my hrt ineffective during that time, and I feel like everything is not as perfect as it was before.

So you too may feel not as good as you did before.  It is a crying shame that drs think we have to suffer menopause unnecessarily, and you could have been changed over straight away without having a 'gap' year or more.  You can also use oestriol cream and/or vagifem pellets for dryness if necessary.

• Posted

Hi sheryl and thanks for the response.  The hysterectomy and removal of ovaries was because of endometriosis but I was on the oestrogen only Hormonin for 21 years.  I'm sure the gynochologist said I didn't need the progestogen at all.

I have been off it for 3 years now and although I took 1 of the these tablets, I haven't taken any more because of that.

I had no problems whatsoever on the Hormonin so it seems there was no reason to stop taking them other that this particular GP's comments that I should now be going through a natural menopause.

I have been off them for three years and my new GP had no problem putting me back on them.  He wrote me the prescription which I tried to get in 3 different places who all said they hadn't been discontinued but for some reason there was a supply problem.  However, I read on the net yesterday that they have been discontibued sad x

• Posted

I understand how you feel.  I loved the convenience of oestradiol implanted pellets and then they stopped making them.  I was on oestradiol patches topped up with gel for many years, but they did seem quite as good as the implants (apart from the rash I would get from the glue).

As I had found out that compound chemists were still making the pellets I decided I would go down that path, with a script from dr to get them and my gp implants it in my abdomen.  They don't seem to last as long as the original ones but I still feel better.  I am not being hit with a wave of symptoms because the patch has run out or because I forgot to replace it that morning.  Cost was much the same as original many years ago, except for the extra of postage.  So perhaps that is an avenue you could explore for your Hormonin.

The patches I used were Estradiol MX, the MX means matrix which allows the oestrogen to be absorbed slowly instead of in one hit.  One large one a week caused too much rash discomfort and peeling off, so dr changed it to two smaller ones (still same strength) a week so I could replace patch in a different part of my abdomen or top of bottom.  The gel was also estradiol.

I mentioned progesten because when I googled norethisterone, that is what it said it was, and perhaps you did not need it now.  I, too, had a full hysterectomy because I had a tumour growing on the outside of it, and ovaries removed because of severe endometriosis.  While I was put on the oestradiol implant immediately, it was a few years before a gp put me on progesterone when I mentioned my history of endometriosis.  As I still had a lot of abdominal pain, purportedly from adhesions from the surgery, it was possible it was from any remaining endo being activated by the oestrogen.

Many years later I still have the pain, and it has not been investigated as to the which was causing what, because there does not seem to be any confidence in repairing either permanently, despite reading about laser surgery.

See if there is a local compound chemist near you, or ask you local pharmacy to suggest a reputable one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.