Horribly overtreated with bowel prep

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. Last year I had some terrible issues with my stomach. They have mostly faded by now, but the short of it is I had IBS-like symptoms for a good few months. I went to the hospital multiple times and I was given a huge bottle of bowel prep that I was meant to finish in four hours. Well, somehow I ended up in the bathroom for a total of nine hours and I never finished the bottle. Only days after this I was given magnesium citrate, which I did not finish either and by the end I was in so much pain that I didn't want to live anymore and I was faced with incredible exhaustion.

Now, I'm a very anxious person-GAD. My anxiety is health-focused, and I have PTSD to boot so this really messed me up. To this day I worry that perhaps I somehow ruined my intestines with that intense and horrible regimen that was actually completely for naught. I have incredible anxiety about whether I may have given myself cancer somehow, or put myself at a greater risk. I was hoping someone here could ease my fears or perhaps tell me how doomed I am.

For reference, I was 18 years old at the time of treatment, I'm 4'11" (149 cm) and roughly 80 lbs (36 kg).

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Did you have a colonoscopy done, usually this prep is for this or sigmoidoscopy?  Have your ibs symptoms calmed down now?  I don’t think the prep causes long term damage, I had the prep for colonoscopy and reacted with a lot of loo visits compared to my partner who didn’t make so many trips to the loo with the same prep, so I think we all react different to this stuff.  It’s hard with health anxiety, I have it also as your mind focuses on anything with health that it is going to mean something bad.  One thing that makes it worse is googling, I try not to do it and if you are concerned still I’d make an appointment with a dr and discuss it rather than googling 
    • Posted

I did not have a colonoscopy, I underwent the treatment solely for the laxative effects as I had been constipated for a few days. That's the first treatment I was given, before any other, gentler treatments. My ibs symptoms have calmed down dramatically since I started on a Lexapro regimen for anxiety. I did have an upper endoscopy and biopsy though, which came up clear. I'm just worried I may have really messed myself up, since nobody else seems to have had this elongated period of treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.