Horse riding and LS - is there any hope?

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hello, I am a 48 year old woman who was diagnosed with LS four months ago, having been suffering with increasing symptoms for over a year.  I started menopause early, aged 43 and as a result of a routine blood test for this also discovered that I have an underactive thyroid so take levothyroxin daily.  I've been managing the LS reasonably successfully in terms of daily comfort and sex life but as you can tell from the title of this post, I am an equestrian and this is where my real problem lies at the moment.  I have two horses and until several months ago rode at least 6 times a week.  As my symptoms were progressing and before diagnosis I tried everything to relieve the pain - vaseline, feminine pads, gel filled saddle savers etc.  If I space my rides and only go for a light hack I'm fairly ok, but any serious riding and I'm wrecked afterwards.  I have just purchased some cycling shorts with what was described as a 'perineal relief' pad in the gusset area - hoping I could put these on just before riding and take them off again if they help.  I have also gone so far as talking to a saddler (male, so that was fairly embarrassing) about the possibility of using a gel pad with a hole in the middle on top of my saddle.  He is having a think, but there are lots of ergonomic issues with balancing on top of a horse which also have to be considered.   Does anyone else here manage to ride (or even cycle) successfully using remedial padding or accessories of any description or am I facing a life without horses?cry

2 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi, I don't ride horses or bicycle, but I can well imagine that it would cause some soreness!  I think your on the right track with speaking to a saddler.  It does seem like your  best plan is to come up with a saddle tailored to fit your needs.  If he can make the saddle in a way that means your genitalia  is not touching anything at all, and that you are totally lifted up and supported in other areas, then I think that should work...I really hope so!
    • Edited

Thank you!  If we do find a way I'll certainly post on here to update in case it helps anyone else.

• Posted

Hiya!

I used to have horses and understand how upsetting it must be to be worrying about having to stop. Have you got epederm cream? I use two types - the cream and then the thick gel. I don't ride much anymore - I stopped way before LS, but when I go running or cycling i will plaster the thick gel on. My main issue is skin splitting and sore bumps which the thick epiderm really does help.

Try and stay happy and positive. We are all here for you!!

xx

• Posted

Thank you - I have dermovate but will look at those products which I'm sure will go some way to helping.  I have just posted this question on an FB forum and found something I didn't know existed - a riding saddle with a hole cut out of it.  It's made by a company called Setzi for long distance trekking and endurance apparently.  I'm going to see if they might be able to adapt a dressage saddle in the same way.  Expect it won't be cheap but worth it if I can keep riding.  Thanks again for the advice about the epederm cream and gel.

• Posted

I would love to hear what you find out, or if you bought one of these saddles. I looked at them and logically it seems like it would work. I usuallu ride western, so that would be a huge change for me. Last time I rode for one hour and it took me a week to get "over" it. Let me know!

• Posted

Not entirely the same - I have put a special saddle on my bicycle.  Can't go for long rides, but at least some exercise is possible.  You're on the right track trying to invent a special saddle, indeed with an opening in the centre.  It's the way my bike saddle is made, with big raised 'cheek' on either side. 
    • Posted

Hi Hanny, just wondering what make your saddle is or where you got it from, I've given up on cycling as its so damned uncomfortable. However we've bought a motorhome and cycling is a good way of getting about to avoid taking the van everywhere.
    • Posted

Hi Hazel, I looked at the bike saddle but it doesn't say a lot. (BonTracer)  Found it in our local bike store.  It's obvious that I'm not the only one looking for a different kind of bike saddle.  And we too bring our bikes camping.  
    • Posted

Aah, thanks for looking, I will keep an eye out now I know they are available.
    • Posted

Hanny32508, What type of saddle helped on your bicycle? I need to find something. Love to ride, but so painful with LS

• Posted

I too was a competitive rider. My daughter is a very well known horse woman and I really hope she never suffers this. I had to give up in the end. I do try and ride my bike now and again but am always fearful of LS returnng and my skin is so tissue thin in that area that even a mild abrasion can be months before it heals.. I have a 'fat' saddle for my bike which is actually an adult trike now. It would be fun if it were not for the manic rat runners on our country lanes... I am always being made to swerve off the road to get out of their way....
    • Posted

Thanks Christine. I am really sorry to hear you had to give up but I know how painful it is no matter how much you love riding and horses. Truly life changing. Dodging rat runners on your bike doesn't sound that different to avoiding them on horseback!
  • Posted

It is my daughters whole life and business she is off to Barcelona at the end of the week with her dressage horse. I just see her getting nearer and nearer to the age I had this and feel so scared for her.
  • Posted

I am already through menopause. Although I can't address your exact situation, I have discovered using estrogen cream in that area a couple of times per week has really improved the quality of the tissue in that area.  My GYNO said that the bad effects of estrogen have been overstated. She thinks that it is more important to maintain the quality of the tissue. I am a former teenage rider and I feel that with this improvement I could be comfortable riding.
    • Posted

Hi Mary, as well as the steroid gel I have been prescribed oestrogen pessaries as well. They both work well as long as I don't ride. I suppose I'm just trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.