How can I make benzyl benzoate lotion?

Posted , 2 users are following.

We have tried many acaricides to treat our scabies and now decided to give benzyl benzoate a chance. Unfortunately the last benzyl benzoate lotion factory stopped manufacturing last year. So we decided to buy benzyl benzoate from chemical suppliers and make our lotion. Today I ordered 1 kilo of benzyl benzoate, probably pure form.

My question is simple, how can I make a lotion out of this?

Commercial benzyl benzoate lotions have a lot of different additives, I can't find them and do not have time and money for this. Just simple recipe would be just fine.

I found some recipes that consists of benzyl benzoate, triethanolamine, oleic acid and water but this two are hard to find in small quantities in this country.

What can I use instead of triethanolamine and oleic acid?

I read a report of a military doctor who had to make a benzyl benzoate lotion for the soldiers during WWII, he only used b.benzoate, soft soap and isopropyl alcohol and the treatment was complete success. I can figure out that the soft soap was used instead of oleic acid, but I'm pretty sure the term "soft soap" was not the same soap with the one used in WWII.

So what do you suggest me to use for the lotion? I have isopropyl alcohol and ethanol.

By the way "being scabies during corona" is one of the weirdest situation I've experienced 😃

Thank you and be well during this corona apocalypse.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

for a 25% solution --- use three parts of something like coconut oil or even olive oil. some people use lotion but it can be hard to measure and also sometimes separates. here is an example of what would make a 25% solution.

30 ml benzyl benzoate

90 ml oil of choice like coconut, olive, or both as long as it is a 1 to 3 part total equalling 4 parts.

GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Thank yo Felicia, there were no answer and I found triethanolamine and oleic acid in 1 kg. I bought 1 kilo of triethanolamine for only 5 grams, this 5 grams make a 1 litre of lotion. It turns out that when mixed, triethanolamine and oleic acid becomes soap and help mixing. It has been 24 hours and it feels effective so far. The only disadvantage is it burns face and genitals so bad. I will keep on benzyl benzoate and inform you about the result. Thank you for your answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.