How can I wean off capsules?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I take venlablue modified release capsules (225mg) and have been taking them now for 7 months but I wish to come off them. The capsules come in either 37.5mg, 75mg or 150mg. Therefore, its possible to go down tp 187.5mg and take it further in decrements of 37.5mg. However I have read other posts about how hard it is to come off this drug. Its not possible to cut capsules, so I wanted to know people's experiences coming off modified release tablets, and ask if going down by 37.5 for a number of weeks each time is advisable. My success with venlafaxine is mixed.

Regards,

Ricky

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I haven't tried seriously to reduce venlafaxine yet, but I do sometimes forget to take 37.5mg of my 225mg daily dose ( I take two 37.5mg venlalic xl tablets at night and one in the morning and I sometimes forget to take the morning one) without any Ill effects. So could you try dropping the dose by 37.5mg one day a week, then twice and so on? Someone who has reduced or successfully come off venlafaxine might be able to advise you further.
    • Posted

Sorry - I've just realised I take two 75mg tablets at night, and sometimes forget the 75mg in the morning without any Ill effects! Three times 75 makes 225! So dropping 37.5mg once a week might be safe.
  • Posted

I agree with pixie22. I'd reduce by 37.5 every time. Maybe every 4 weeks. All I know is the slower the better to help with the side effects. Best of luck 👍
  • Posted

For me, nearly all the withdrawal problems were with removing the final 37.5mg tablet but I'd been on them for 15.5 years with very good results. I took many years to reduce from 375 mg down to 0 mg, but that was because I was afraid that the depression would come back, not because of problems with withdrawal.
  • Posted

Thank you pixie22, elaine92718 and jebjew for the sound advice. I believe that venlafaxine has helped a little, but I have had a number of anxiety attacks and bouts of depression, but generally I recover after 1-2 days. Before that my depressive periods were longer. The problem I have with venlafaxine is that I have never had one single day without a side effect. The worse side effect it the dry mouth/funny taste in the mouth. I get blood blisters in my mouth also. Also I have developed muscle twitching (legs/arms/torso). Sometimes it is unnoticeable, but sometimes it happens quite frequently. I was told that venlafaxine does not normally cause this, so the only thing I can think of that has caused it is meditation. I meditate to help with the depression. I was hoping that the side effects would go completely after 6-8 weeks, but alas they still plague me :-(

Regards,

Ricky.

• Posted

I have been withdrawing from 225mg (max dose) for the past few weeks as this drug did NOTHING for my anxiety only recreated terrible side effects.

I went from 225mg to 150mg in the first week then 150mg to 75mg for a week and then 75mg to 37.5mg for a week, am currently on my last 37.5mg today so will be free from this drug tomorrow. Its been tough going on them with the side effects and withdrawing but I couldnt continue taking them anymore.

I have Lyrica and Xanax to help with withdraw process 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.