How did you recover from Marsupialization?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

Stressing out a little, can anyone tell me how they healed after marsupialization?

I had my operation over 3 weeks ago and the area where the incision was made feels hard, does it stay that way?

Was also wondering if the scar fully heals over? At the moment you can see it and the area doesn't look normal like it used to.

Also how long did you wait until you had sex after the operation? I'm freaking out that it could get aggitated, or even worse it will be noticable to the other person.

Any info about the recovery process would be much appreciated, thank you.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I was thinking about doing it? How was the experience?
    • Posted

Hi, until I've recovered a little longer it's hard to say. I had the operation 3 weeks ago. Immediately after surgery it is quite uncomfortable/a little painful, with some swelling and bruising near the incision. I experienced pain for just under two weeks before it subsided, in the week passing/3 weeks post op I think my stitches have dessolved or fallen out so now I'm hoping the incision heals over. At the moment the incision is still very visible if you have a close look and the area feels hard - which I'm hoping will soften and heal back to normal now the stitches are gone. Hope that gives you a bit more of an idea. 
  • Posted

I had mine back in March and I felt a hardest lump for a while after my surgery. I still feel a 'lump' it's really small and my dr has checked and he has said that it's probably just scar tissue or the 'pouch' they created. It hasn't changed size, it's not painful so I'm not concerned.

If I looked now, I'd see a scar with a small hole on one side where I believe it drains from.

You'll find it'll take you a few more weeks before you find that you'll be completely normal down there again. I haven't had one single occurrence since my surgery.

• Posted

Thanks for your comment, guess I'm just going to have to give it some more time and chill haha
  • Posted

Hi there,

After suffering with these cysts since 1998, always on the left side, I had my first marsuipilisation on 10.07.2015.  It took me longer to recover this time than previously although I think, at least in part, this will have been because I developed a second cyst on the right side in early August - about 4 weeks after the op to the left side.  It is difficult to be precise as to timing as, of course, just having had an op, I wasn't sure if the pain I was suffering was as a result of that.  Anyway, I realised I had a second cyst - which I was able to burst myself. 

Matters weren't helped by my developing very low blood pressure after the op (which kept me bedridden for 2 weeks) nor to having to take penicillin, to which I am allergic.  I also experienced a lot of bleeding - to the extent that I thought I was having a period.

Now, about 7 weeks post-marsupilisation, I have a small lump that I feel wasn't there before but, as it isn't an area I generally check when I am cyst free, I am not 100% certain that it is as a result of the op, but am just assuming so.  Certainly, it looks different to the other side.  I have had to return to my GPs - almost 2 weeks ago - as I felt I still had an infection in either the first cyst, second cyst or both? and was prescribed 2 more weeks of 2 more antibiotics.  I have almost completed the course and, for the past 4 or 5 days or so, have felt much better and feel that I am "getting there".

As to sex, I received no advice regarding how long to wait but, after about 6 weeks (post op) I felt "OK" to give it a go although I was worried that it might hurt or aggravate the area.  Anyway, there were no ill effects of that - the first time was a bit "sore" at the time, although I am sure that was more to do with my nervousness than anything - as, on subsequent times, everything has been as it always was.  My partner tells me that everything feels just the same as it always did.

Hope that helps and that you make a speedy recovery x

• Posted

Thanks for sharing all of that, good to hear you're fine/better at the 7 week mark! Sounds like I just need to be patient about the recovery and give it a few more weeks. Cheers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.