How did your knee osteoarthritis start ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Wondering how knee pain started off for everybody. Currently mine only comes on during running, going up and down stairs and after sitting cross legged. It is a dull kind of pain and hurts when I press on it, it’s on the outside of my knee. Could it still be osteoarthritis?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Do you think it could be an injury? If you are a runner - or even if you aren't - you might have strained something which needs time, and probably rest. to heal. If there is doubt about an osteoarthritis diagnosis you can get confirmation from x-ray. I don't think there are any blood tests for OA, and even visual evaluation by a professional may be incorrect. If you have a soft tissue injury you do need to treat it correctly. I thought I had worsening OA (and yes I do have OA confirmed by x-ray) but it turned out to be some sort of soft tissue injury which needed support, rest and expert physio exercises to treat. It took far longer to get better than it should have because of the assumptions made by my medical people, including an otherwise brilliant physiotherapist and an orthopod who I saw to ask about knee replacement. They all assumed it was OA and in fact the OA was not the problem, even thought I do have quite serious OA. I took it on myself to research and after deciding I would assume it was soft tissue injury (I actually remembered the day I twisted my knee but everyone else dismissed that as not important) with help from the physiotherapist I gradually got better.

• Posted

Well for me, it came sporadically over the course of three years. I initially thought is was a muscle pain, didn't take much notice of [ even when the back of my knee was swollen]. It lasted for a few hours, days sometimes. It started with the right knee and then the left never at the same time until five weeks ago. There was stiffness and pain when walking that gradually intensified until I had to be in bed for a week. Both legs were swollen from the thighs to the knees, the right being more affected. I had no body heat, couldn't not feel when heat was being applied to it to help with the swollen. About two and a half weeks ago, I was diagnosed with mild tricompartmental OA in both knees. Nothing makes sense to me right now, every doctors appointment leaves me more confused than the last. I've been to the GP once every week for the five weeks, and I feel there is very little answers coming forth at the moment. There some days that are good, others no so much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.